Ruination Project part 1
The Ruination project started life as a pair of Advent Laureate speakers that were found on craigslist for $35 dollars. The cabinets were in good shape but the speakers were in need of being re-foamed and one of the tweeters sounded like it was blown. That being said for $35 dollars I was looking at them as nice cabinets for a first timer’s DIY project. My goal was to keep the driver cost under $50.00 a driver so total spent would be per speaker would be ~$150.00
Initially I wanted to figure out what woofers I was going to use for the project and was looking at DIY sites that had published driver reviews. I ended up primarily on Zaphaudio.com for driver information as well as measurement traces. Lurking here at PE and on hometheatershack I discovered some of the various simulation tools that are available on line for the DIY enthusiast. My initial modeling was done on WINisd looking at various well reviewed and measured drivers to see how they would perform in the advent’s 1.4 cubic foot enclosure. The speaker that caught my eye in the modeling for both its sensitivity and its bass extension was the fountek FW168. What I’d not realized was that the FW168 would require me to buy a router due to being slightly too large for the advent’s existing cutouts. Later Unibox was discovered and that was used to help me do additional models with the FW168 to look at driver extension when played at 100db’s at the desired tuning of 48Hz. (later subsequently changed to 35 Hz)
For the tweeters I knew I wanted to cross below 2200Hz due to CtC spacing so I was looking for various options that had a low FS that could be crossed around 2000Hz in the $50 price range. Tweeters considered were Usher 9930’s, Dayton RS28’s and SBAccoustic’s S29 neo ring radiator. For ease of install it sounded like the Usher tweeter could have been used with the advent tweeter face plate with minimal modifications. In the end, I selected the SB29 Neo tweeter for the project due to finding posts from DIY enthusiasts that were happy with the way it sounded in their projects.
I now had my tweeter and woofer selected and decided I’d ask Madisound to build a 2 way crossover for the speakers. I shouldn't have requested a 2 way crossover but at the time was unaware that a 2.5 way crossover would be better suited to the TMM configuration. After assembling the speakers I was very pleased with the tweeter’s performance but thought at times I was hearing some woofer ringing and at times certain song sections sounded “muddy or smeared” for lack of a better term. After some research I came to the Conclusion that the crossover needed to be changed to the 2.5 way configuration. While my wife, brother, and mother thought they sounded amazing I was fairly sure that more could be had from them and that in my current room they had too much BSC for where I could place them. So I started researching PCD and how to do my own crossover designs. In the mean time the project went on hold for a couple of months due to another distraction the Cranberry Lambic’s I was building for my brother.
On and off while away from the Ruination (Stone IPA) project I was dabbling with various PCD crossover designs trying to come up with a 2.5 way crossover I was pleased with. Talking with Wolf I sent a few different models out of the 5 to 6 revisions I’d been playing with trying to utilize several of the components in the Madisound crossovers. Wolf sent back a crossover that didn’t utilize many of the parts currently in place but looked to good to pass up.
So that brings us to where the project is at currently I’ve soldiered the majority of the new crossover parts on to new boards that have to be shoehorned into the speaker. I’m waiting on a backordered inductor to finish up the crossovers and then it’ll be time to see what they sound like…