Need help picking out a good AVR with preouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help picking out a good AVR with preouts

I will start by saying that I need to keep it under $800. I will be running a set of TriTrix mtm TL's for rears and a polk TS-1 50c for the center and Polk SDA-1C's for the mains. My problem lies with the SDA's! They are 6ohm and power hungry! I need a receiver that will work well with those speakers till I can get a high end amp to let them really shine!
    I was thinking a Pioneer Elite VSX-80 or SC 1222k. Also the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020. Can anybody put this in layman's terms for me?...."165 W/ch (6 ohms 1kHz 1% 1ch Driven) ; 90 W/ch (20 Hz-20kHz, THD 0.08% at 8 ohms FTC)" Any other suggestion and why would be appreciated but keep in mine it needs to be a common ground amp and pretty user friendly for my wife to use.

Re: Need help picking out a good AVR with preouts

You may want to post this in the Tech Talk forum, you'll get way more replies. I've an older AVR from Yamaha and a newer one from Pioneer. Both have been very reliable. The power ratings can be difficult to derive but I typically check the rated amp draw of the entire unit.

However, as you plan to go with a separate power amp in the future, I'd focus on how easy the AVR is to use. How easy is it to play stereo through the mains at full range? Can you defeat the tone controls?
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Well my wife thinks the Yamaha is easier to use and I personally like the Yamaha more as I think it just sounds better and the parameters are easier to manipulate. I took the Pioneer back only after three weeks and I have always liked Pioneer too, I just did not like the sound at all. Not saying they are bad it was just not for me, the day I hooked the Yamaha up it was a totally different sound!
      ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see.’

Comment

Originally posted by Danger dad View Post
        ... Can anybody put this in layman's terms for me?...."165 W/ch (6 ohms 1kHz 1% 1ch Driven) ; 90 W/ch (20 Hz-20kHz, THD 0.08% at 8 ohms FTC)"
        The first stated measurement means ONLY 1 amplifier channel was driven using a single frequency - 1000Hz until 1% distortion was produced. This is an easy was to get a big power number.
        The 2nd measurement is more stringent and relevant - both channels simultaneously, using a full frequency signal content with a much lower distortion figure.
        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
        “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
        X