Conference Room audio setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Room audio setup

My company is moving soon, and our new office will have two conference rooms, and we want teleconference ability in one; 18x13 feet. It's a drop-ceiling office.

I want to set up audio systems in these conference rooms, oriented at VOIP/teleconference use. My plan, so far, is in the room (one table) have two boundary microphones (A-T PRO44) on the table, going to an M-Audio M-Track 2x2, with outputs going to a Beringher EPQ304 (maybe bridged), driving ceiling speakers.

Then, to have a pre-recorded impulse response of the room in an echo-cancellation path on the computer.

What I have not yet decided on are what speakers, how many, and where to put them.

I suspect that ceiling speakers will have an advantage in echo cancellation because the audio path from speakers to microphones will be far-less affected by movement and number of people in the room, though there will be a disadvantage in the other end of a call being a bit disembodied in the room.

A pair of speakers on the wall near the projection screen would have psychoacoustic advantages in being a bit more point-source, making it a little less acoustically confusing for people in the room, but I would suspect reflections will be more variable on people, so the echo cancellation wouldn't be as effective.

Am I on a decent path here, or am I way off the mark?

Thanks,
    - Alex

Re: Conference Room audio setup

Originally posted by Circuitsoft View Post
    My company is moving soon, and our new office will have two conference rooms, and we want teleconference ability in one; 18x13 feet. It's a drop-ceiling office.

I want to set up audio systems in these conference rooms, oriented at VOIP/teleconference use. My plan, so far, is in the room (one table) have two boundary microphones (A-T PRO44) on the table, going to an M-Audio M-Track 2x2, with outputs going to a Beringher EPQ304 (maybe bridged), driving ceiling speakers.

Then, to have a pre-recorded impulse response of the room in an echo-cancellation path on the computer.

What I have not yet decided on are what speakers, how many, and where to put them.

I suspect that ceiling speakers will have an advantage in echo cancellation because the audio path from speakers to microphones will be far-less affected by movement and number of people in the room, though there will be a disadvantage in the other end of a call being a bit disembodied in the room.

A pair of speakers on the wall near the projection screen would have psychoacoustic advantages in being a bit more point-source, making it a little less acoustically confusing for people in the room, but I would suspect reflections will be more variable on people, so the echo cancellation wouldn't be as effective.

Am I on a decent path here, or am I way off the mark?

Thanks,
    - Alex
    The company is called Biamp, or Polycom check out their products.

Teleconference or video conference? You should try to avoid (cardioid) microphones on the table, unless it is built into a central teleconferencing device.

It is not a bad idea to have speakers at the screen, the biamp products will let you reconfigure the system for each application.

Anyway, your system design will be a noose around your neck. You should get someone with experience to design this system, use what you know to select the right person/company.

Get the right product to do the job. Find the right people to do the job. That is my advice.
    “Never ask people about your work.”
    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Working...
    X