Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: Quad 909 Power Amp (Hilliard, OH)

SOLD

I bought this amplifier new in 2006 and have loved every minute I used it. I rate its condition at 9/10 only because of its age; physically it's in pristine condition with no dings, dents or scratches and sounds good as new. It's rated at 140wpc/8 ohms and 250wpc/4 ohms with 0.05% THD. The specified frequency response is -1 dB at 13 Hz and 40 kHz (re: 1 kHz), and the power response is -0.25 dB at 20 Hz and 20 kHz (re: 1 kHz). While it weighs ~28 pounds, it's physically small with ~dimensions of 12.5"W x 5.5"H x 9.5"D. I have all of the original accessories and the double-box shipping carton. This amplifier has received multiple very positive reviews and its midrange sound has often been compared to that of tube amplifiers for its smoothness and liquidness. The only reason I'm selling it is because I replaced it with a higher-powered amplifier. The list price when I purchased it was $1499. I'm asking $750 plus shipping costs from 43026 (CONUSA, only). Dimensions of the shipping carton are 15" x 13" x 18" and shipping weight is ~35 pounds. I've attached two photos which I did not take but are representative of my amplifier's condition. If you are interested, you can reply in this thread or send me a private message (if the latter, I'd appreciate you listing your direct email address for follow-up). I will happily entertain reasonable offers.
    Thanks for looking,
    Paul
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad 909 front.gif
Views:	1
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	1336647 Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad 909 back.gif
Views:	3
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	1336648
    Last edited by Paul K.; 08-17-2017, 08:22 AM.

That is a really nice amp, I wish I had a use for it. Someone definitely needs to grab this.

Comment

Thanks for looking. It is a really good amp and would allow a lucky person to "dip their toes" into high end audio for a modest cost.
      Paul
      Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
      That is a really nice amp, I wish I had a use for it. Someone definitely needs to grab this.

Comment

Paul, what did you replace it with ? The 909 has some of the best mids out there.
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

In case Paul doesn't see this, he got a Wyred for Sound unit with more power. More headroom!!!
          If I hadn't stocked up on Crowns, I mighta considered it myself...
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

As Ben stated, I bought a Wyred4Sound, the ST500-MK II. It has about twice the output power of the 909. I've been using the ST500 since May 16. Without performing side by side A/B comparisons, which is kinda difficult, I like the new amp a bunch and don't think it's giving up anything to the Quad, plus I appreciate it having a modest increase in headroom. Based on what I've read about them, switching amps have come a long way since first introduced. I have to admit that my ears apparently don't hear things as well as others', so you might not agree with my assessment, Craig.
            Paul

Originally posted by craigk View Post
            Paul, what did you replace it with ? The 909 has some of the best mids out there.

Comment

I think you are right on spot. I really liked the Wyred 4 sound stuff. Should have a little better bass.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Just a reminder, I will consider reasonable offers for this really good power amp. Honestly it's in pristine condition.
                Paul

Comment

Any idea what brand the large caps are?

Comment

Have no idea as it's never been opened since I got it new.
                    Paul

Originally posted by seagrasser View Post
                    Any idea what brand the large caps are?

Comment

Dang it Paul, I'm fairly close too. I just cannot swing that kinda dough (or even make an offer). That is a beautiful looking piece of kit though, good luck with the sale.
                      Your results may vary.

Comment

Hey, there's plenty of time for me to box it up and bring to MWAF with me (I'm leaving home at ~1:30 in the afternoon tomorrow). Ask you boss at PE for a nice raise!
                        Paul

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                        Dang it Paul, I'm fairly close too. I just cannot swing that kinda dough (or even make an offer). That is a beautiful looking piece of kit though, good luck with the sale.

Comment

bump

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                            X