Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completed speakers for sale: the original Boxers

-- SOLD --

These are the original Boxers that I designed and built in 2015 (build thread here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...r-based-2-way= ).

This is a great sounding set of speakers and took 3rd place in the Dayton category at MWAF in 2015, but it is definitely a speaker that fits certain applications better than others as its compromises are much different than other speakers. It uses the Dayton RSS210HO-4 and a waveguide loaded RS28F. It has a beautiful, smooth bass with a sealed Qtc of 0.68 and an F3/F10 of 45/30Hz. Crossover is at 1.2kHz and the 8" waveguide provides excellent pattern control to match up to the large woofer in directivity. Midrange is smooth and clear and the highs are crisp. Poly caps throughout and heavy gauge laminate core inductors on the woofer circuit.

All of this is packed into a 0.60 cu ft cabinet with solid poplar sides and MDF front baffle and rear. The internal hardwood bracing is glued such that it will expand across the grain with the poplar and remain stable along the grain to match the MDF. This allowance for movement ensures that the solid wood will never crack and 3 years of Michigan humidity swings have proven that out. The cabinet is 20"H x 11"W x 8" D and as such, it will actually fit on a bookshelf, sideways. Because of this, I built a 3-position switch into the crossover to include or remove baffle step (0dB,3dB or 6dB) to keep the system well balanced near boundaries. This also allows floor placement, which was one of the big surprises for me with this design. Perhaps because the waveguide minimizes tweeter reflections off the floor, or perhaps for some other reasons, this speaker presents a higher and cleaner soundstage when placed on the floor than any other speaker this height I've heard. The crossover was designed for stand-mounting with full BSC, but the switch on the back really opens up a lot of possibilities for this unique design.

The big caveat is that all this bass extension in a tiny cabinet comes at the cost of efficiency. The Boxers present a pretty easy 4 ohm load, but I would recommend a minimum of 200 watts. First of all, they need some juice to get moving and second of all, there's no use in using them unless you're going to crank them.

I hate to see them go, but I really need the space. I considered dismantling them to use the drivers in other projects, but these parts just seem very happy together and the cabinet actually presents very well, so I'd like to see them stay together. I'm asking $500/pair + shipping (from SE Michigan, 48374) which is a little more than the cost of the materials, but I'm open to offers. Special consideration to anyone who promises to listen to loud, bass heavy music on them frequently.

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanP; 03-29-2019, 09:44 AM.
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Great build well worth the asking price.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
      Great build well worth the asking price.
      If they sold these at Best Buy, they would cost $10,000.
      I used to tell every one to buy custom made speakers, then I realized no one cares.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bowers-...?skuId=6027606
      https://www.bestbuy.com/site/svs-pri...?skuId=5707714

Maybe I missed it, but where are they?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy154 View Post

Maybe I missed it, but where are they?

They may well be in Detroit area.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexRivera View Post

They may well be in Detroit area.
          Yeah, sorry guys, metro Detroit. OP updated and thanks for the compliments!

Dan
          The Hurricanes
          The Baronettes
          Conneccentric
          UX3

Comment

That is a pretty neat concept.

Comment

One bump, just for fun.
              The Hurricanes
              The Baronettes
              Conneccentric