Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS: DIY 3-way Speaker & Center Channel (Minnesota)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: DIY 3-way Speaker & Center Channel (Minnesota)

Wanting to sell a DIY 3-way speaker with a matching center channel. The speaker drivers new cost over $3k.

The 3-way speaker consists of a RAAL 140-15D with Amorphous Core, an AudioTechnology 18H520613SDK (custom) midrange and a Scan-Speak 26W/8867T woofer. The crossover uses ClarityCap SA capacitors and there are foil inductors where required. The crossover is accessible via an aluminum plate behind the tweeter/midrange cabinet.

The center channel uses a Scan-Speak 6600 tweeter, an AudioTechnology 15H midrange, and two Dayton RS180 drivers.

The enclosures were both sprayed with automotive paint and rubbed until a high gloss was achieved. Unfortunately, the cabinets are not in perfect condition but with a little TLC they will look lovely again.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I am selling these speakers because they are too big for my apartment and I'd like someone to find a user for the completed speakers.

price ?

Comment

My bad. I would like $2,500 for the entire thing.

Comment

Hi there,
        Great looking speakers that sound just as nice I'm sure. Too bad they don't fit well with your apartment. What are you thinking of replacing them with? I'm in twincities area, but feel they are out of my budget.
        Nate
        My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Hi Nate, I am not sure yet. I am going to RMAF as an exhibitor. If I have some time, I'd like to go around to see what 2-ways catch my eye and ears. I am thinking I would like to try something high efficiency so I can dabble with smaller tube amps.

I would be willing to budge on price if the speakers found a nice home.

Comment

Originally posted by tf1216 View Post
            Hi Nate, I am not sure yet. I am going to RMAF as an exhibitor. If I have some time, I'd like to go around to see what 2-ways catch my eye and ears. I am thinking I would like to try something high efficiency so I can dabble with smaller tube amps.

I would be willing to budge on price if the speakers found a nice home.
            High efficiency and small enough for your apartment are rather mutually exclusive.

Comment

I have found it difficult to get good money on DIY speakers. The general public doesn't recognize their value, and enthusiasts build their own. Good luck.

You might have better luck selling the drivers separately.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post

High efficiency and small enough for your apartment are rather mutually exclusive.
                I realize

I am in no rush in this venture. I still haven't hung my tv or have furniture to sit on.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  I have found it difficult to get good money on DIY speakers. The general public doesn't recognize their value, and enthusiasts build their own. Good luck.

You might have better luck selling the drivers separately.
                  I thought about selling the drivers separately. I only have the boxes for the ribbons. I was hoping someone would want the drivers and cabinets while they decided to build their own speakers.

Comment

What are the dimensions of the speakers? What do you recommend they be powered by?
                    My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

The bass cabinet is 24.3" (617mm) tall x 12.87" (327mm) wide x 16.1" (409mm) deep
                      The midrange and tweeter cabinet is 15" (380mm) tall x 12.87" (327mm) wide x 16.1" (409mm) deep
                      The center channel is 12.5" (320mm) tall x 24.5" (650mm) wide x 10" (254mm) deep

I have attached drawings of the cabinets. The center channel was made rectangular to simplify the build.

I used a Pass Labs XA30.5 for a while which I enjoyed quite a bit. I then used DIY monoblocks from hdamp.com, the T300. These amplifiers did just fine but I never did get to turn the listening room into what I always wanted it to be.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am ready to scrap the enclosures if anyone is interested in the drivers. Please PM me if there is interest.

Comment

Any interest at $2k and I can deliver up to quite a ways from Minneapolis.

Comment

p.m. sent
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Sent you a p.m. back sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X