Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice DIY kit using Peerless Exclusive 830884, Tang Band 75-1558SE, and SEAS 22TFF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice DIY kit using Peerless Exclusive 830884, Tang Band 75-1558SE, and SEAS 22TFF

Hey guys. I was working on this 3-way, got measurements, even ran a few sims, but just don't have time to finish the project. Anyone interested in picking up this gem of a setup for their own DIY project couldn't go wrong.

The measurements of all three drivers show incredibly low distortion in their working bands. I could even provide the working files for PCD simulation so that you could come up with your own crossover.

What you get are the cabinets (PE 1cf in piano gloss), the custom cut baffle, the drivers and measurements. I think DoubleTap used the 830884 in a prototype a while back, but the 22TFF and TB mid are brand new, only tested.

New, the 830884 Exclusive is around $85 if you can even find them (Curt C used it in a 3-way and it was excellent). The TB mid is going for $135 each, and the 22TFF soft dome is $34 each. That's $500 worth of drivers alone.

If anyone is interested in the entire setup, cabinet included, it could be yours for $500, and you'd be on your way to an amazing stand mount 3-way, and still be able to DIY your own crossover.

Send me an email if you're interested. [email protected]

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Re: Nice DIY kit using Peerless Exclusive 830884, Tang Band 75-1558SE, and SEAS 22TFF

Can you do Layaway until October 28th? hardy har har.... no really....:o

Comment

Re: Nice DIY kit using Peerless Exclusive 830884, Tang Band 75-1558SE, and SEAS 22TFF

Who knows . . . it may not be sold by then!
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

If you decide to part this out, I'd like to buy those Peerless woofers. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by emilime75 View Post
          If you decide to part this out, I'd like to buy those Peerless woofers. Thanks.
          I'll think about it, but for now, I'd like to sell this as a set. Without the woofer, that baffle is pretty useless.

Comment

The Peerless Nomex HDS (830869) which not only looks better, but also has a slightly smoother top end, is just about a drop-in replacement, would certainly fit the baffle just as well (same mold for the frame I have to assume, just painted a different color).

So if you were to sell the woofers there is that option, at least.

But I don't see it being worth the hassle of splitting up the kit to sell just the Peerless Exclusive 830884 woofers separate unless somebody else wanted the mids/cabinets. I don't think the tweeters would be hard to sell, they're still kind of new/interesting given their pedigree - I wonder if they're good to as low as their bigger cousin (the 27TDFC).

The last pair of 830884s I had went to a guy in India who was building Curt's Mavericks.
            "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
              The Peerless Nomex HDS (830869) which not only looks better, but also has a slightly smoother top end, is just about a drop-in replacement, would certainly fit the baffle just as well (same mold for the frame I have to assume, just painted a different color).

So if you were to sell the woofers there is that option, at least.

But I don't see it being worth the hassle of splitting up the kit to sell just the Peerless Exclusive 830884 woofers separate unless somebody else wanted the mids/cabinets. I don't think the tweeters would be hard to sell, they're still kind of new/interesting given their pedigree - I wonder if they're good to as low as their bigger cousin (the 27TDFC).

The last pair of 830884s I had went to a guy in India who was building Curt's Mavericks.
              The 22TFF is smooth up top with very low distortion, but will not cross as low as the TDFC. And it's off axis performance is better than the TDFC. It appears to be an excellent 22mm tweeter, no doubt.

Comment

If this had a crossover design I'd be all over it.
                "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
                –Robert Wilensky

Comment

It does indeed have a crossover design.

However, it's only a modeled design based on the measured plots, so it may require some minor tweaking, like padding resistor changes.

Are you still interested?

Comment

Here's the simulation I did based on the measured data, which is also posted, including distortion levels at roughly 2W input.

The blip at 400Hz is due to an object to the side of the speaker when I took the plots. Basically, it's better than +-2 dB between 100Hz and 18KHz.

Comment

PM sent.
                      "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
                      –Robert Wilensky

Comment

Hey guys, thought I'd post this once again. I've come up with a crossover using 3 inductors, 5 caps, and 4 resistors that should produce a system response of +- 1.5dB from 50Hz to 20KHz.

Woofer: 4mH and 39uF

Mid: 20ga 1.5mH inductor and 22uF in series and 4.7uF shunt. L-pad on the mid terminals of 12 Ohm in series with the mid and 7.5 Ohm shunt. Reverse polarity.

Tweeter: 6.8uF, .25mH shunt, 18uF and L-pad of 4 Ohm series and 3.3 Ohm shunt. Reverse polarity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	System Response.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1144783

Comment

Here's the schematic.

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a good design ! What kind of changes would be needed to substitute the Peerless woofer for a Usher 8137A as I have had a pair of them laying around for some time now ?

Comment

Originally posted by thor61 View Post
                              Looks like a good design ! What kind of changes would be needed to substitute the Peerless woofer for a Usher 8137A as I have had a pair of them laying around for some time now ?
                              I would imagine it would be pretty darn close. Give it a shot. If anything, the tweaks would be minor. The tough part is the mid/tweet XO.

Comment

Working...
                              X