Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Near field measurements with phase plugs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near field measurements with phase plugs?

Happy to recently find the Bagby white paper on how to measure in-room responses with OmniMic. When measuring near field response, how far away should the microphone be when you have a driver with a phase plug? For example, I have some TB W4-1337SDF full range, 4" speakers. Per Jeff's recommendation the mic would need to be 1/10th the distance of the radius of the radiating area. In the case of these W4's, there's a phase plug protruding from the center much farther than the recommended distance from the actual cone. Also wondering what impact a phase plug may have on near-field measurements in general... Thanks guys!

Near field response is generally for obtaining accurate low frequency response of the speaker. Essentially, the phase plug has no effect here, just move the mic over to the side a bit and measure away. Since you have the mic, you really should be able to answer the question for yourself. Put the mic in front of the cone 1/4" away in a few different locations and measure, how does the response from <500Hz compare?
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I asked the same question of him at one of his seminars. His response was basically, just get it as close as possible without touching it. I assumed he meant to still center it but he didn't state it. dcibel has a good point... that you could experiment with both and see if there are any differences. I bet it's minimal, but not sure.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate your insight on this. I'll do some experiments on my own to get a feel for what's actually happening. Come to think of it, I have some 4, 5 and 7" drivers with phase plugs, so as I was reading the instructions about placing the mic in the center of the dust cap, this was one of the first questions that came to mind...

Comment

Working...
        X