I give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up

I'm now on Omnimic #2 and out of the box, this one doesn't work either. The first Omnimic I received had an horrific upper response that you can see from this graph:

I measured two speakers, one freshly-built SEOS Zephyr and noticed the big drop so I wanted to confirm. I then measured a Polk LSi9, and both measurements had a massive drop in the treble. I took out my trusty calibrated ECM8000 and they looked perfect. I sent it back to PE and they deemed it defective and sent me a new one, which I received a few weeks ago.

I now need the Omnimic and had to babysit my kids all morning to "buy" a few hours from my wife to let me measure the speakers I just built for my theater. I take out Omnimic numero dos and Windows doesn't recognize it:

I tried plugging it into 2 other PC's I have and even used a different USB cable and I get the same error. The blue LED doesn't even light up.

I gave my ECM8000 setup to my friend who built the SEOS, who is getting started in speaker building, who just happens to be in Germany right now for 3 weeks. The price of being a nice guy.

Has anyone else had to jump through hoops to get this thing to work? I mean, for $300, wtf?

Re: I give up

I have a thread about having issues with my Blue Icicle, it seems that windows did an update recently that has caused issues with USB mics of all sorts. There's instructions on how to fix the issue in that thread.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

I checked on your thread but don't think we're having the same problem. Did yours give you the same error message that mine does, as the screenshot above shows?

Now, there have been some developments and I'm sure you all want to hear about them. About an hour after I posted that message I decided to plug the mic back in. Boom, blue light. Holy crap. So, I fired up the software and after a few seconds of seeing the live frequency response the blue light went out and the response curve stopped. So, I unplugged the mic, plugged it back in and no blue light along with the same error message. Hmmm..maybe it needs to discharge. So, I waited 5 minutes and no blue light. I went upstairs and ate dinner. I came back down after about an hour, plugged it back in and blue light. This time, without launching software, I timed how long it stayed blue, which was 28 seconds. Then it shut off. I just tried now after a 10 minute rest and it didn't light up. I know it shouldn't be doing this but I troubleshoot and fix instruments for a living so it's in my blood to figure this thing out.

Comment

Well, I dug out my old Windows XP measurement system I used with my ECM8000 that hasn't had a Windows update in a LONG time and I plugged the Omnimic into it. The blue light lit up and went out exactly 28 seconds later, just like it did with my Win7 machine. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by christianb View Post
          Well, I dug out my old Windows XP measurement system I used with my ECM8000 that hasn't had a Windows update in a LONG time and I plugged the Omnimic into it. The blue light lit up and went out exactly 28 seconds later, just like it did with my Win7 machine. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and nothing.

It would indeed seem that PE owes you another OmniMic, as well as an apology. It were up to me I would probably throw something else in too just to try to make up for all of the trouble. But, if you paid for this OM then you need to contact them and get another one or a refund. As for me, I have had no trouble with mine.
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

No trouble here either.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

The first one worked just fine...except that the response was horrible. This one is just a nightmare. I did try calling them but it was right after they closed today. It's always during times like a 3 day weekend when you really want to get something accomplished that something like this happens. Oh well, I've been blessed with so many things in my life that this is just a tiny bump in the road. At this point I almost want to just get a refund :(

Comment

just go there and talk with Brian. he'll hook you up.
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Ooooh, some more salt on my already deep wounds:

Now I really give up :(

Comment

Originally posted by christianb View Post
                    I checked on your thread but don't think we're having the same problem. Did yours give you the same error message that mine does, as the screenshot above shows?...
                    Actually Yes. I had to try that 2-3 times before it actually worked.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Please remember, your OmniMic is covered by a 1-year warranty. No giving up necessary. If it is a problem with the OmniMic hardware, we will work with you during the warranty period to make sure you have a unit that works.

Regarding the possible link between this problem and a faulty Windows Update as mentioned earlier, I recommend using System Restore on your measurement PC to roll the operating system configuration back to a time when the previous OmniMic was working. (Note that this will roll back Windows updates as well as any software installations that you've performed since then - this is useful to determine whether any of these updates caused the problem, which seems likely because it looks like an OmniMic did work on this PC at one point). It is possible that the hardware in the newer OmniMic that you have is faulty, in which case I recommend pursuing a replacement unit, but we can't neglect the possible operating system angle, since Microsoft has a history of breaking things with Windows updates, only to fix them later with a subsequent update.
                      Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
                      Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

I've tried it now on 6 computers with no luck. I took it to my brother's house, who has an older netbook with Win7 Starter that he hasn't turned on in over a year, and it does the same thing. I tried it on his work laptop with XP and his main computer with Win7 Ultimate; no dice.

Time to call CS tomorrow.

Comment

It maybe a usb port problem. Older machines = loss compatibility.
                          Kenny

DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                          Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                            It maybe a usb port problem. Older machines = loss compatibility.
                            I'm not following you. The mic isn't working on any of 6 computers. My 2 main PC's are an i5-2500k and i5-3570k. My measurement computer is a Dell P4. My brothers 3 computers are all newer than 3 years old. This thing has to be defective.

Comment

I must agree. I got the impression that the machines were of older design. My mistake.
                              Kenny

DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X