Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60Hz hump in quiet room

Hey fellas,
    I bought a V1 OmniMic off of eBay and even with a quiet room I have a large peak at 60Hz.

I unplugged the laptop power supply and run off battery and I still have the peek? Any ideas on how to correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniMic_quiet_room.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1191907

Thanks,
    Rich

Re: 60Hz hump in quiet room

When you say "quiet", does that include no fridge running (or any other electric motor devices) and no fluorescent light bulbs on (including CFLs), or dimmers, or furnace blowers? I think I also see harmonics at 30, 120, and 240Hz (which would be expected, I guess).

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Chris. Got home today and fired up OmniMic to play around and the 60 Hz hump is gone. A few nights ago I walked around the house and pointed at dimmers, flatscreen TVs, even incandescent lights causes spikes in the 90dB range?!?

Possibly the USB cable or the connection to PC or mic caused issues?!? Hard to say.

Guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Comment

Don't forget, EVERYthing in your house is "pulsing" at 60Hz (if you're on "the grid"). I know we THINK of a hotplate on the stove as a purely resistive load (as well as incandescent bulbs, etc.), and those things COULD run off DC, but we went w/AC, so that heartbeat is with us, all the time. That hotplate's being heated w/a 60Hz sinewave, and all your DC electronics have the 60Hz transformer in them. Maybe that's why we all like bass so much - it's with us since the day we're born.

Comment

Originally posted by rmeinke View Post
          Hey fellas,
          I bought a V1 OmniMic off of eBay and even with a quiet room I have a large peak at 60Hz.

I unplugged the laptop power supply and run off battery and I still have the peek? Any ideas on how to correct?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55551[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
          Rich
          I had that exact problem. I sent the mic to PE for testing and it turned out to be bad. PE replaced it.

Comment

Yeah, I saw your original post and thought that this was my problem. Was your issue consistent or intermittent ??

Comment

Originally posted by rmeinke View Post
              Yeah, I saw your original post and thought that this was my problem. Was your issue consistent or intermittent ??
              It was intermittant at first, but eventually constant,

Comment

I have gotten this hump also always... I used Jeff Bagby's Response Modeler To remove....

Comment

Working...
                X