omniic high frequency rolloff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omniic high frequency rolloff

Hello all. New to forum, this is first post. I am doing development work on a ribbon design. When I first got the OmniMic I was getting different Freq. response measurements than I am now. Specifically I am seeing about a 3 to 5 db loss in level at 20Khz. When I first started using the Omni I was using an older Adcom CD player. At some point that unit stopped working so I went out and bought an inexpensive Sony CD player. There has been no changes in the ribbon prototypes that would cause such a HF loss. Looking through the OmniMic literature there is mention that some CD players may not "clock" properly with the OmniMic and the result is a 3 db loss in HF response. This is a HUGE issue for me at the moment as I simply cannot be sure what the actual HF response is as I make design changes.
    Sooo with that does anyone have any info on this issue? Is there a list of CD players that do not have this problem?

Re: omniic high frequency rolloff

You can play the sweeps directly from your computer without the CD, if that helps. You can also rip the CD and play the sweeps from some other portable device like a phone or tablet.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Thanks dcibel.Tryed it using my laptop. Got even worse result. then stole the dvd player from my wifes cave and that has same response as my cheap Sony. At this point Im starting to think that old Adcom CD player may have had a hot top end. I got the scope out and watched the output from amp as the test did a sine sweep. Looks like the level stays good all the way out to 20Khz so I guess all is well with the setup.

Comment

I've read 1 or 2 cases where the top octave response is lost due to the mic being dropped. I believe PE will re-calibrate the mic if you send it back to them, if you have doubts of the calibration.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

When you tested with your scope, did you leave the speaker connected to the amp?

Comment

Working...
          X