iNuke NU3000DSP - Lightning Proof?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iNuke NU3000DSP - Lightning Proof?

We had a direct strike at one of our locations where it took out a number of electronic devices. During the damage audit, I flipped on the main amp rack and fans whirred to life on the stack of iNuke amps I had spec'd a few years ago. Smoke rolled out of one so I shut it down and pulled it out. Once insurance was tallied and the equipment was disposed, I took the iNuke amp back to the shop. Upon opening it, I found a single clamp diode at the speaker leads with a smoky crack across the top. I fired up the soldering iron and popped it off the board to see if it was holding the amp in protection. Plugged it in and - hey it's working! So while it's not lightning-proof, it sure didn't receive the kind of damage I had expected. It was the result of inductive coupling from the speaker wires that run through the roof plenum. The power side was untouched. I had installed an isolation transformer and surge protection at the panel. Looks like I was right on the money. But I still get to keep the amp.

Good deal when a diode acts like a MOV
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

What's that clamp diode supposed to do anyway? My brother has the same amp and it did the same smoke release thing, but continued to function afterwards. I'm guessing that the same diode went open-circuit in his amp....
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
        What's that clamp diode supposed to do anyway? My brother has the same amp and it did the same smoke release thing, but continued to function afterwards. I'm guessing that the same diode went open-circuit in his amp....
        They are connected in series across the supply rails and center-tapped at the speaker output. Presumably it returns flyback voltage to the rails rather than the output devices? Whatever the case, it worked better than expected. I did replace it, for the sake of completeness.

Comment

Working...
        X