Jbl jrx215, qsc gx3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jbl jrx215, qsc gx3

Greetings, I am interested in buying the JBL JRX215 speakers for my garage, can anyone tell my just how well they will sound? Presently I am using a pair of KLX 1000 3 ways, that I have rebuilt with new drivers and Dayton cross overs, but thought that something new and better built would be better. They will be powered by a QSC GX3 amp, and what an amp it is, the sound rivals my Carver TFM amps, with one small irritation......, is there any way to replace the noisy cooling fan with one that is quiet?
    Rick

They will probably be much louder.. but better? I'm not so sure. The JRX line is the entry level ultra budget line from this company and as such they cut ALL the corners, the cabs are MDF not plywood and while the 15" driver is decent enough these things produce no bass at all compared to even an 8" hifi driver, and the high frequency compression driver is the absolute worst sounding POS I have ever had the misfortune of hearing, and on top of that it is notoriously fragile. Bottom line... you could do much better so for a shop system think long and hard before you spend $$.
    Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
      They will probably be much louder.. but better? I'm not so sure. The JRX line is the entry level ultra budget line from this company and as such they cut ALL the corners, the cabs are MDF not plywood and while the 15" driver is decent enough these things produce no bass at all compared to even an 8" hifi driver, and the high frequency compression driver is the absolute worst sounding POS I have ever had the misfortune of hearing, and on top of that it is notoriously fragile. Bottom line... you could do much better so for a shop system think long and hard before you spend $$.
      C'mon Paul, tell us how you really feel .

​The tweeter used in the JRX215 isn't really a "compression driver" IMO. It's probably more like a tweeter with a phase plug and TPI screw mount and even then the published FR suggests that it starts dropping off around 10kHz, which makes me wonder how well that phase plug is actually working. The cheap Pyles that I used for my Blastorama V2 upgrade reach higher than that, and I can buy three of them for the price of one replacement 2414H-C driver. True, two of those three will likely sound like crap, but at least I'd have three to try out to choose the one with the best response, LOL. And it's loaded into more of a waveguide than a horn. If JBL isn't cutting that thing off sharply around 3kHz or above, that would explain its tendency to go poof.

​Yeah, and the published specs (http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachm...ecsheet_v3.pdf) suggest that the bass starts dropping hard below 70 Hz, and that's with them floor or wall-mounted.

​I'd love to see a THD plot of the JRX215 at different power levels, just to see if my thoughts are correct re the loading and filtering of the tweeter.
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
        If JBL isn't cutting that thing off sharply around 3kHz or above, that would explain its tendency to go poof.
        ​Ok, from the published specs it looks like JBL's running them at 100dB sensitivity with a 2.2kHz x-over. In comparison, I'm running my Pyles with a 3kHz acoustic x-over (the electrical x-over is actually a lot higher, around 8~10kHz) and I'm running them several dBs lower as well (90~92dB). That's a big difference....
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Ok..., I get the banter...., to what would you suggest I choose that would be a really good solid choice over what I presently have...., which does quite well, despite the age and the simple construction, given the fact that I have replaced most of the guts. I am looking for something new with some real kick butt bang for the buck. Not something that will make me wish I would have kept the old 80s KLH 1000, with the upgrades I performed within their innards. And, any ideas On replacing the fan in my QX3 with one that is quieter?, and will work.......and fit properly?
          Thanks;
          Rick

Comment

Originally posted by LePetomane View Post
            Ok..., I get the banter...., to what would you suggest I choose that would be a really good solid choice over what I presently have...., which does quite well, despite the age and the simple construction, given the fact that I have replaced most of the guts. I am looking for something new with some real kick **** bang for the buck. Not something that will make me wish I would have kept the old 80s KLH 1000, with the upgrades I performed within their innards. And, any ideas On replacing the fan in my QX3 with one that is quieter?, and will work.......and fit properly?
            Thanks;
            Rick
            GX3 fan: You can get one from Digi-Key, such as:https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...752-ND/2615565 or similar. I replaced the one in my GX5 with a similar fan.

Speakers: There are a lot more options dependent on budget.... I would go with good PA speakers (or DIY with PA type drivers) and a sub, since it appears you like it loud. There are many great designs for full-on DIY on this forum and on PE's site, and some great kits available for assembly. Do a google search for DIY soundgroup.
            Currently resigned to living in balmy Zephyrhills, FL with the snow birds.
            Howard H

Comment

Actually what I am fishing for is a good recommendation for a set of good PA speakers that sound really good that is for sale at Parts Express. Don't have time to build my own right now. Just wondering what you more experienced guys like, that sound really good, and can be used for double duty if and when needed. And of course will not break the bank, as I have to run this past the wife, and keep her from melting down​. Thanks for the tip on the fan for my GX3, will look closely into that.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by LePetomane View Post
                Actually what I am fishing for is a good recommendation for a set of good PA speakers that sound really good that is for sale at Parts Express.
                What is this double duty you speak of? As for a recommendation of good sounding PA speakers I have some but you might want to sit down. I have a set of Yamaha DXR15s that are considered one of he better sounding fullrange PA speakers available but even these things lack any serious lowend output. Given their size you would think they would shake the building but that is the tradeoff with PA speakers, to get high output low frequency response is sacrificed. The solution to that is to add a sub and when you do that you get the sound you expect, but realistically for a small shop system you don't need these big 15" speakers instead I'd suggest something like the EV ZXa1 components, the 8+1 tops with a 12" sub. Now these are active speakers meaning the amplifiers are built in but believe me, you won't get anywhere close to replicating this level of performance on your own with rack mounted amplifiers and processing so they are worth the cost.

So there are 2 recommendations for PA systems you would be pretty happy with, but there may be another solution. Cerwin Vega have built speakers that blur the lines between PA and home audio like the older D series or the current XLS series. If you were to pickup one of the larger floor standing models with 12" or 15" woofers you would have true fullrange sound with high output and you could utilize the amplifier you have.
                Paul O

Comment

Paul, thanks for the recommendations, for some odd reason I totally blanked out concerning Cerwin Vega, for some reason I thought they went the same way as Miller&Kreisel , a lot of the purists make a lot of fun of those 2 companies, but they do make some great sounding speakers, as does Electro Voice. I personally am an NHT fan, as well as Kef and Martin Logan, but when it comes to some real rocking big air moving sound, it is hard to discount Cerwin Vega. I think the XLS 15 will do me just fine. Now, if I really had the coin.....I would pop for the new Wilson Audio WAMM speakers........ya right, in my dreams.
                  Rick

Comment

i also have one JBL JRX215 speakers, it's good, you can buy a one to try.

Comment

Here is another source where you can buy a good one https://www.icrfq.com/ This could well fit for your garage.

Comment

I suspect over the course of the last nine months he's already made his purchase. .
                        Always look at the date of posts you're replying too.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                        X