Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightweight 12"/horn combo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lightweight 12"/horn combo?

    I've been asked to put together a PA setup for my Father, who does a lot of live gigs (playing the electric guitar). He has back problems though so has asked for something light weight, decent quality, and yet fairly cheap...

    My initial thought was going for a JBL horn and 18sound or faital pro 12" neo woofer, but price wise they're out of his range.

    I was thinking a selenium horn/woofer combo, or using the B&C 12HPL64 12".. but I have no experience with any of these brands so I was hoping for a little guidance!

    I was going to make the enclosure out of birch or ply to keep the weight down.

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers, Tom

  • #2
    Ask on the BFM forum. BFM has over a dozen plan options, and they're all lightweight and have multiple driver options from inexpensive to high end. They're also the best most complete plans you'll find anywhere.
    http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum

    Comment


    • #3
      Not enough info on the B&C is available unfortunately (e.g. no FR or impedance data). Have you looked at the Eminence Deltalite 12"? Very similar specs, and FR data is provided. It is a bit more expensive however. If I was looking to do a lightweight pro audio, I'd probably look at that or it's more expensive Kappalite cousin.
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sounder View Post
        Ask on the BFM forum. BFM has over a dozen plan options, and they're all lightweight and have multiple driver options from inexpensive to high end. They're also the best most complete plans you'll find anywhere.
        http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum
        ​Wow, 20 posts from "Sounder", and all refer readers to BFM's forum and his designs. I'm guessing you're a BFM fan?
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

          ​Wow, 20 posts from "Sounder", and all refer readers to BFM's forum and his designs. I'm guessing you're a BFM fan?

          I gave it a quick look and there's a little too many negative reviews about BFM around. The word firewood seems to be a commonly used..

          Anyhow, I was thinking something along the lines of a selenium d220Ti, with a dayton PA310-8 woofer. I've taken a quick look at the eminence range, but it seems the dayton may just pip it. However, I'm more than ready to be told I'm wrong here...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NZ Audio View Post


            I gave it a quick look and there's a little too many negative reviews about BFM around. The word firewood seems to be a commonly used..

            Anyhow, I was thinking something along the lines of a selenium d220Ti, with a dayton PA310-8 woofer. I've taken a quick look at the eminence range, but it seems the dayton may just pip it. However, I'm more than ready to be told I'm wrong here...
            ​The PA310 is pretty nice - I use one in my POC3 TH design - that's for bass duty though, not full range . Its sensitivity is a bit lower than the previously-mentioned drivers, and it's not a neo driver so it will add weight to the build, but apart from that it should work well.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NZ Audio View Post


              I gave it a quick look and there's a little too many negative reviews about BFM around. The word firewood seems to be a commonly used..
              ​I won't comment on the BFM stuff. I've never heard any of the BFM designs, so I won't venture an opinion on them. I just find it unusual though that a user with 20 posts to their name seems to refer to BFM designs in each of those posts.

              ​Good luck with your build - I'm interested to see what you eventually come up with.
              Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

                ​The PA310 is pretty nice - I use one in my POC3 TH design - that's for bass duty though, not full range . Its sensitivity is a bit lower than the previously-mentioned drivers, and it's not a neo driver so it will add weight to the build, but apart from that it should work well.

                Thanks Brian. Yes weight wise it's not optimal at all - but within the budget I've been given and the specifications something has to give. I'm biased towards the dayton though, as I've always wanted to give them a go but never had the chance.

                The eminence range does seem like a good option though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I built some cabs with the Deltalite 2512 and the Selenium D210ti. They are trapazoid boxes built from 1/2" ply with lots of bracing so they ended up being one of the stiffest and lightest cabs I have ever built, and they do sound good after some testing and crossover tweaking. Bass output isn't hugh but then these were tuned pretty high(70hz IIRC).. intended to be used with subs. I'm going off memory of another thread from a while ago but I believe modeling suggests the KappaLite would be a better choice for a bit more lowend in a small cab.
                  Paul O

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...ion15-kit.html
                    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

                    http://www.diy-ny.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NZ Audio View Post
                      I gave it a quick look and there's a little too many negative reviews about BFM around. The word firewood seems to be a commonly used..
                      Sticks and stones. OTOH:
                      http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

                      So believe what you will, opinions from whomever, or opinions from owners.

                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        Sticks and stones. OTOH:
                        http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

                        So believe what you will, opinions from whomever, or opinions from owners.
                        Hi Bill, sorry if I came off as disrespectful. I just looked up reviews from web forums other than your own. I'll take a look at your designs and see how they compare.
                        Cheers, Tom

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NZ Audio View Post
                          ... I just looked up reviews from web forums other than your own....
                          Your position is legitimate. User needs and expectations vary greatly as do approaches .
                          Sites will reflect the bias of the audience and tend to exclude critique.
                          Certainly decisions are not as simple as number of users

                          a PA setup for my Father, who does a lot of live gigs (playing the electric guitar). He has back problems though so has asked for something light weight, decent quality, and yet fairly cheap...
                          I can personally appreciate the back consideration. It might help to know more specifics ( how large a venue, how loud AND how small and light )
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NZ Audio View Post
                            I just looked up reviews from web forums other than your own. I'll take a look at your designs and see how they compare.
                            FWIW I have built one of the BFM designs from his "Titan 39" plan set, and can attest to the completeness of the plans. With a lighter-weight driver (I used the chunky LAB12) it would be quite easy to move from place to place, and for my needs (backyard sound reinforcement) it has vastly more capacity than I need.



                            .
                            Ed Henderson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                              ​Wow, 20 posts from "Sounder", and all refer readers to BFM's forum and his designs. I'm guessing you're a BFM fan?
                              All my speakers are BFM, my electric bass, PA, home theater and car sub. I wouldn't recommend anything else, and I don't need anything else, so I don't post about anything else.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X