No announcement yet.

Lightweight 12"/horn combo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright so before I take the plunge I'd like to get some opinions if I'm wasting my money or not....

I really want to try an xt25 in a waveguide (possibly pellegrene acoustics if he's still doing them) paired with a dayton pa310-8 woofer. Vented preferably, but I'm not sure that'll work...

Am I barking up the wrong tree? It won't have much amplifier power because of the tweeter, but it'll be cheap enough to make a few of them if it works.

Otherwise I can go the selenium driver route, but I'd really like to keep it cheap... and use the xt25.

Thanks all for your help, it's going to be a busy year!

Cheers, Tom

Comment

Not an xt25, but already in a wave guide: http://www.parts-express.com/peerles...-ohm--264-1386

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
        Not an xt25, but already in a wave guide: http://www.parts-express.com/peerles...-ohm--264-1386

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that! I'll have to look around and see how it compares. Zaph just kind of sold me on the xt25's. I've got some peerless 830883's in the closet from a failed car audio project that I'll probably pair with some xt25's to satisfy my need to use those tweeters.

I've had some interest from this and have someone lined up for me to make them a selenium horn/deltalite or kappalite (pending a meeting next week) combo. I'll be running them active initially from my minidsp so I can do some testing before doing a crossover (can't get parts locally here).

I've heard from Pellegrene Acoustics and they're not in business anymore unfortunately. So there goes that master plan!

Thanks again Chris, I'll give a good research and see how they'll do.

Cheers, Tom

Comment

Hi from NZ!

Having a look through this thread, I still don't see much that really quantifies the content this system would be expected to play (in-particular bass content, if any), nor the typical venue/audience size.

Based on the assumption of typical acoustic guitar & vocal sources in small to medium sized venues, you could probably go down to a 10" driver, so long as the sensitivity is high, and the bass extension & xmax are adequate. You can always add a sub if needed.

The B&C 10CL51 is probably one of the lightest drivers out there. The Eminence neo drivers would also be good choices. Combined with a good waveguide and compression driver combo, and lightweight (but well braced) construction you should be well on your way. I wouldn't waste my time with dome tweeters etc - the good horn & CD combos are very good these days.

Basically you want to build an "Econowave" style speaker with neo drivers & a lightweight box. Have a look at the DIY Sound Group Fusion series for some ideas (Though they target HiF i/ HT, they primarily use P.A. components).

I've built a few BFM designs. they work, and the plans are good, but IMHO Bill's tops tend to sacrifice in certain areas such as smooth frequency response, for the sake of high sensitivity. As such, they require quite a bit of tweaking to dial them in, which might not suit your Dad, who likely wants something that sounds great 'out of the box'. OTOH, I've been well impressed with my 3012LF loaded BFM Titan 48's, and would have no hesitation recommending a Titan 39 with 3012LF or 3010LF if you need some bass augmentation.

Go active if you can, with DSP amps or a system processor & amps. I'm using Peavey IPR amps which are awesomely light, and have DSP versions available. The behringer processors are a bit hit & miss for reliability - I'm going to try the Bunker BPD-1 plus next time. With 4 core speakon cable, and a powerstrip in your rack, the whole system will be faster to rig than commercial powered speakers. My homebuilt amp rack with 2x Peavey IPR amps & processor weighs less than 10Kg.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyd View Post
            IMHO Bill's tops tend to sacrifice in certain areas such as smooth frequency response, for the sake of high sensitivity. As such, they require quite a bit of tweaking to dial them in.
            Some do, some don't. For instance:
            http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...p?f=13&t=24373

www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyd View Post
              ... IMHO Bill's tops tend to sacrifice in certain areas such as smooth frequency response, for the sake of high sensitivity. As such, they require quite a bit of tweaking to dial them ....
              Such as using SMaart software - I had also heard this opinion/experience affirmed by others.
              Knowing where these Sound Providers, ( to use the expression ) "were coming from" - I considered their experience as objective and relevant.
              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
              X