Old school tower build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school tower build

Greetings all, after much reflection, I have decided to consider building a set of old school thumpers, kinda like Cerwin Vega XLS15s. Only I plan on using 4 drivers, one 15, 2 fives and a tweet, but with a 3 way crossover in a vented cab. My goal is to have a bass level down somewhere in the mid to upper 20's hz, I know which tweet and 5 inch mids I want to use, but having trouble choosing the 15. I want something that really moves a lot of air and gives that good old fashioned hit you in the chest slam. Anyone know which one on parts express would work out the best, without being too crazy expensive? Also, which crossover, or does some one have a good design I could build from. The cab will be approx. 50 inches high, 19 inches wide and 15 inches deep, with either a single or double pass baffle, not solid on that; just fishing for some preliminary ideas for now. I heard a pair of Cerwin Vega XLS 15's, I gotta say, for the money, they really sound nice.....so I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for the help, in advance.

Rick

You will get more traffic in the Tech Talk section than the PA section. But we can still help here. What tweeter and mids are you considering? As far as the crossover, please do not use an "off-the-shelf" unit. Opt for a custom unit that is based around your cabinet and drivers.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Is this for PA? If so the premise is flawed, for a number of reasons. If it's for home use you're in the wrong forum.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Dayton's 15" "Classic" will break 30Hz in 5 vented cu.ft. using a pair of 4"id ports that are 16" long.

Comment

Dear me, I have come in the wrong door. Well, of course these are not meant for PA use, if they were I would be using mostly a 2 way system with a very large driver and a large horn , and depending on the cab arrangement, would depend on the driver size, of course. However, I remember Bob Carver experimenting with dual purpose speakers that could be used for both that had a mix of drivers of more than 2 or even 3, but that was in the very old days. What I have now are a pair of KLH 1000 3 ways, that I have had for a very long time, an most of their component's have been replaced with very good high quality drivers on being a tang band W4-1337sdf 4" Titanium Full range, the tweeter, I can not recall at the moment, but it was some German affair, that was recommended to me by one of the Parts Express techs. In fact both drivers were recommended by the same person, and they have worked quite well. The speaker has a 12'' woofer with a 12" passive radiator and a 3 way, rather cheap, and are showing their age, mostly because they reside in a garage where the climate is not terribly compatible to most things electronic, but they have worked for almost 20 years. But it is time to do something else

Comment

Something happened to my post and half of it was cut off. I am looking to build new cabs, of a vented type, and put in a new crossover of a custom design, while I can work quite easily off a schematic design, I have never actually engineered one myself, however I am quite a proficient wood worker, so building a cab will be no problem. I use these in a garage, and so they don't need to be absolutely sonically perfect, as I have found that what might not sound quite perfect to a measurement machine, will usually do quite fine for me and my ears. So if some one can give me a good working cross over design of a 3 way config, using 4 drivers with the mids I am using being tied, I think that should do quite well. And thanks to Chris for the mention of the Dayton 15" classics. I look forward to build these, and I plan on using one inch marine grade hardwood plywood, with a good inner frame and either a single or double baffle. Thanks in advance for your help. Also if some one knows how to move this post to the proper forum, that would be great.

Rick

Comment

I can't recall any designs using that woofer off hand, but a look through the project gallery should have something appealing: http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/

Comment

You mean something iike this?
                http://www.soundsgoodtomehouston.com...5_pairopen.jpg

These things were wildly popular in the 70s and 80s, I built something similar back around 1980 when I knew nothing with two 5-1/2 mids and 3 piezo tweeters arranged horizontally in 2 rows above the 15 that did exactly what you describe.. bass you can feel and pretty respectable SPL.. but they were no good at all at imaging.. go figure. If you build something like this follow the Infinity design above and stack everything vertically, but if I may suggest an alternative it would be a 3 way with a single sealed back 8 mid(eminence alpha) and bullet tweeter. The problem with all these old monkey coffins is everybody blows the rather fragile mids and tweets because you are going to crank them up and these drivers really aren't designed for that. The more pro level alpha and bullet drivers will have a higher sensitivity than the 15" you're gonna use and better power handling than the home audio mids and tweets so once you have them level balanced through the crossover they will be all but bullet proof.
                Paul O

Comment

Working...
                X