Continuing..Lightwieght efficient bass cab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing..Lightwieght efficient bass cab

Since I posted about this in the wrong section (installers) and that section is now gone (aliens?) I am starting a new thread about achieving a lightweight high efficiency bass cab. I would like a cab that can get loud enough to compete with two metal guitars with around 400 to 500w input.

I had a few good suggestions in the other thread already and am getting ready to model some drivers. It also occurred to me that a high-pass filter would help me achieve the maximum output from the amplifier by reducing wasted energy in the low end that isn't needed so I purchased a fdeck hpf3. It is a nice hpf that allows you to high-pass from 30hz up to 200 (ithink it is 200, anyway plenty high for my use) at 12db per octave. It also has another set high-pass at 30hz 12db per octave. This means anything below 30hz is actually high-passed at 24db per octave as the two high-passes add together.

I am thinking a pair of these would get pretty loud in a reasonable box although I haven't modeled them yet https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...river--290-595

What tuning should I shoot for for bass (Most of the stuff I play will never be tuned lower than c#)?

Originally posted by killa View Post
    I would like a cab that can get loud enough to compete with two metal guitars with around 400 to 500w input.
    Yikes!

I am thinking a pair of these would get pretty loud in a reasonable box although I haven't modeled them yet https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...river--290-595
    Nice driver but it requires a relatively large box for good bass extension, the KappaLite will do it in a smaller box as would the two B&C neo drivers that fall between these Eminence drivers in price. I'd say a 35-40hz tuning would be plenty and even with that it's the upper bass harmonics that will be heard over the lead guitar racket.

Paul O

Comment

...What tuning should I shoot for for bass (Most of the stuff I play will never be tuned lower than c#)?
      Playing it safe ( pun intended ) Jerry McNutt states "Use a steep high pass filter set to 45 Hz"
      For F3 of 66 Hz. 2.62 cu.ft per each . VT for 2 = 5.24 cu ft.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
      X