Continuing..Lightwieght efficient bass cab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing..Lightwieght efficient bass cab

Since I posted about this in the wrong section (installers) and that section is now gone (aliens?) I am starting a new thread about achieving a lightweight high efficiency bass cab. I would like a cab that can get loud enough to compete with two metal guitars with around 400 to 500w input.

I had a few good suggestions in the other thread already and am getting ready to model some drivers. It also occurred to me that a high-pass filter would help me achieve the maximum output from the amplifier by reducing wasted energy in the low end that isn't needed so I purchased a fdeck hpf3. It is a nice hpf that allows you to high-pass from 30hz up to 200 (ithink it is 200, anyway plenty high for my use) at 12db per octave. It also has another set high-pass at 30hz 12db per octave. This means anything below 30hz is actually high-passed at 24db per octave as the two high-passes add together.

I am thinking a pair of these would get pretty loud in a reasonable box although I haven't modeled them yet https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...river--290-595

What tuning should I shoot for for bass (Most of the stuff I play will never be tuned lower than c#)?

Originally posted by killa View Post
    I would like a cab that can get loud enough to compete with two metal guitars with around 400 to 500w input.
    Yikes!

I am thinking a pair of these would get pretty loud in a reasonable box although I haven't modeled them yet https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...river--290-595
    Nice driver but it requires a relatively large box for good bass extension, the KappaLite will do it in a smaller box as would the two B&C neo drivers that fall between these Eminence drivers in price. I'd say a 35-40hz tuning would be plenty and even with that it's the upper bass harmonics that will be heard over the lead guitar racket.

Paul O

Comment

...What tuning should I shoot for for bass (Most of the stuff I play will never be tuned lower than c#)?
      Playing it safe ( pun intended ) Jerry McNutt states "Use a steep high pass filter set to 45 Hz"
      For F3 of 66 Hz. 2.62 cu.ft per each . VT for 2 = 5.24 cu ft.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
      X