Looking for a 3-way plate amplifier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 3-way plate amplifier

Hi everyone! I want to build a 3-way powered loudspeakers using the drivers from a pair of old mackie boxes. (1232z) the amplifier on this boxes are not working anymore and I don't want to have them repaired because they are really big and heavy. The cabinet is also damage and in bad condition, really heavy too. I want to use one 12" LF driver (550W RMS) , one 6" MF driver (100W RMS) and one HF driver 1.75" voice coil diameter (100W RMS) on each cabinet. So I'm looking for a 3-way plate amplifier that can meet this specifications (doesn't need to be the exact same power) actually if I can find one amplifier with enough power to run two boxes that will be great!! For the size of the venues that I usually play two of this boxes per side will be enough, maybe for outdoor shows too! I'm going to be using this with my subs anyway. I could build a passive box and use a crossover and amplifiers separately but I prefer powered speakers for practical reasons. I been checking on some plate amplifiers from china (that's what google is showing me when I try to look for one) but I would like to know if I can find what I'm looking for somewhere else. I could build a 2-way speaker, there's more options for plate amplifiers out there but I really want to use the 6" drivers in my boxes along with the 12". My budget is short but I already have everything else to build my speakers but the plate amplifiers. I really hope somebody can help me this. I'll appreciate your time to reply my topic. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody biting on this one eh... I've never seen a 3 way plat amp pre-built. Perhaps you go with a 2 way plate amp, like this, and do a passive crossover for either the top end or bottom end.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg
      Nobody biting on this one eh... I've never seen a 3 way plat amp pre-built. Perhaps you go with a 2 way plate amp, like this, and do a passive crossover for either the top end or bottom end.
      Hi, thanks wogg for the link. I already checked this plate amp from Dayton and if I can find a 3-way this is going to be the plate I'm going to be using for my speakers. Actually I only found 3-way pre-built from china suppliers, there's a company named ground sound, they have one 3-way plate amp but with only 300 watts for the low frequencies, I would like to get at least 500watts RMS for the lows. Thanks for the information anyway. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rober07 View Post
        the amplifier on this boxes are not working anymore
        ​This, this, THIS is the PRIME reason why I don't like active speakers (there are many other reasons btw). Your options are very limited if the active part of the arrangement lets out the magic smoke. I suggest that you go passive and, depending on your budget, use one or more of the cheaper DSP-capable amps to drive them.

​I agree with the suggestion to go passive two-way between the mid and hi-frequency drivers, and active between the bass and mid. With that arrangement you can use an amp with two channels (for a mono arrangement), or two amps with two channels or one with four (if you're going for a stereo arrangement).
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

There is PWR-DSP3 from DSP4YOU, but you may not like the price tag.
          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele
            ​This, this, THIS is the PRIME reason why I don't like active speakers (there are many other reasons btw). Your options are very limited if the active part of the arrangement lets out the magic smoke. I suggest that you go passive and, depending on your budget, use one or more of the cheaper DSP-capable amps to drive them. ​I agree with the suggestion to go passive two-way between the mid and hi-frequency drivers, and active between the bass and mid. With that arrangement you can use an amp with two channels (for a mono arrangement), or two amps with two channels or one with four (if you're going for a stereo arrangement).
            Thanks for the advice Brian, I'm seriously considering passive speakers now! I been checking some amplifiers with built-in DSP and the new products are really good! And not heavy at all. That was one of my concerns about having a passive system. The weight of amplifiers rack. I'm going to be spending more money but I think is good investment. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rober07 View Post
              ... really heavy too....
              Having the electronics inside the cab will make it heavier.
              There is a big availability of electronics for an external setup ( active crossovers/amps ); plate amps are not common.
              No plate arrangement I've seen for sale has the capabilities and flexibility of external modular active systems
              They ( plate arrangements ) have a disadvantage of being an internal singular unit, In an external system, parts/units can be swapped out.
              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
              X