Equipment Voltage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment Voltage

Do input voltage requirements matter? Different pieces of equipment have different stated voltage ratings. My old Ramsa mixer says it wants 120V. Other pieces want 110V or 115V. It all works no matter what it is plugged into. Are voltage requirements important of optimal performance? I have a bunch of power-stats around here and can give any piece of equipment what it wants. What voltage output should I use on my big main power-stat?

Always in a state of confusion about something.

Thanks,

Bill

Normal AC voltage varies anywhere between 105 and 125v, with 115v being an average. Don't worry about it. You'd only have a problem if you plugged a nominal 115v device into a 220-240 outlet, and that's not easy, as the plugs and receptacles are different.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by B1189BW View Post
      Do input voltage requirements matter? Different pieces of equipment have different stated voltage ratings....Bill
      Depends on who you talk to Bill .
      Recently watched an interesting video of Tedeschi/Trucks Band that detailed their stage setup. In it Derek Trucks mentioned why he used a device called a Brown Box which allows for trimming voltage to the original design expectations of the Tube Amps used.
      This is a common problem that guys who rebuild vintage tube amps encounter as the line voltage can be inconsistent and in general higher than when 115V was the norm ( some old amps designed around 110V ).
      Locally Line voltage can run above 125V; Consider that also means higher peak voltage, which a Tube amp ramps up accordingly, exceeding the component voltage rating as originally designed shortening part life.
      Last edited by Sydney; 05-31-2017, 10:46 AM.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Just so the OP doesn't get confused... tube amp AC requirements have nothing at all in common with solid state electronic devices. Tube amps are 1 part stone age electronics and 4 parts voodoo.. it's amazing that these things work at all. Solid state audio equipment is totally different, it doesn't matter if the AC voltage supply fluctuates up or down 5-10v from the 110v median because these components have voltage regulators that are designed to keep the working voltages where it needs to be for each circuit inside. So you don't have to worry about it or do anything other than make sure it is plugged into a 110v circuit and not a 220v circuit.
        Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
          ... Tube amps are 1 part stone age electronics and 4 parts voodoo.. it's amazing that these things work at all. ....
          Joke of the Day
          A heated "cathode" boils off electrons into a vacuum; they pass through a grid (or many grids), which control the electron current; the electrons then strike the anode (plate) and are absorbed.
          No Voodoo required:
          https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ps-work?page=1

My old Ramsa mixer says it wants 120V,,,I have a bunch of power-stats around here and can give any piece of equipment what it wants. What voltage output should I use on my big main power-stat?
          Don't assume that ALL old components are well regulated (I have old SS amplifiers that aren't ); those that aren't often demonstrate this by producing excessive heat with over-voltage..
          * One indicator of problematic over-voltage is premature failure of incandescent light bulbs ( life cut by 50% )
          Last edited by Sydney; 05-31-2017, 11:01 PM.
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I would like to thank everyone for their time. I will keep using a power-stat for my Ramsa board and everything else can fend for itself. Bill

Comment

Working...
            X