DIY Sub Cabs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Sub Cabs

I can get a really good price on a pair of these subs, which seem geared towards home theater or automotive use. Would they be sensitive enough and have enough SPL for a set of DIY subs for DJing?

http://aespeakers.com/shop/sbp/sbp15/

At sub bass frequencies yes but from 50hz and up where most DJ content is a single store bought powered 18 would kill them. For what these things retail for you can buy some really good PA subwoofer drivers, if you don't want to spend that much then I'd suggest the Peavey Lowrider as a budget option.
    Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by twista_j View Post
      I can get a really good price on a pair of these subs, which seem geared towards home theater or automotive use. Would they be sensitive enough and have enough SPL for a set of DIY subs for DJing?

http://aespeakers.com/shop/sbp/sbp15/
      ​As a rough guideline, if you're going to be DIYing subs for PA duty, you should look to achieve a passband sensitivity of ~100dB/2.83V/1M, or better, with your design. For example, you can start with drivers with a much lower sensitivity (the LAB12s come to mind), but then use a horn or bandpass design to come up with a high sensitivity system. Those drivers you linked to have a sensitivity around 90dB1/2.83V/1M, so if you're going to use them in a design, it would need to be one that raises the sensitivity by ~10dB, which implies horn use, but those drivers don't look like they're suitable for horns. It's much easier and likely cheaper to just go with a driver with higher sensitivity instead.
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

...Would they be sensitive enough and have enough SPL for a set of DIY subs for DJing?...
        Nope - Wrong tool for the job

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Would they be sensitive enough and have enough SPL for a set of DIY subs for DJing?
          No. They go a full octave lower than necessary, with 8dB less sensitivity than required.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Definitely check craigslist- there are frequently good deals on decomissioned pro subs that will suit your needs well. Pro systems are often pulled out of service without any problems, and have plentiful lifespan remaining, just make sure they look, feel clean and that you can test them before committing.

The other comments about what makes good pro subs are spot on, you need efficiency and don't need 20hz. You DO need a high-pass filter around 35-40hz depending on the enclosure, however.

Comment

Thanks for all of the prompt replies. I'll pass on these.

I do have a tapped horn idea for some subs that I have laying around. I'll start another thread for that if I get stuck.

Comment

Working...
              X