Sharing line level signal to a separate PA system wirelessly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing line level signal to a separate PA system wirelessly

I work for a small municipality and they have asked me to look into upgrades for the PA system around the town square. Before we start this discussion, I am aware of the perils of getting involved in this: I'm not a professional sound guy but I'm not a total novice either - I'm actually a water plant operator - I do small PA jobs for some local schools and churches, I build speakers,etc. I have agreed to take a look and give my opinion, though it may not go any farther than that.

The current setup is very basic: From a "sound-room" upstairs in the court house, a Peavey powered mixer is connected to 4 Peavey molded-enclosure- I think they're PR series- speakers that are flown from under the eaves of the building on each corner. Current usage is for background music at Christmas and limited use of a microphone or two for announcements. The current system is roughly 20 years old and has worked reasonably well, except that intelligibility is not very good when using the microphones, and the sound being transmitted to the building annoys the occupants of the offices inside during business hours. They would like to update the system to reduce the sound levels that are heard inside the building, and they also want provide better sound coverage to a small park on the perimeter of the square that is 100-150 feet away. Running speaker wire across the street is not going to be possible.

I am thinking of a couple of possible solutions. One idea I have is using line array type speakers mounted lower on the walls of the building. On the concrete surfaces, I don't think the sound transmission would be as problematic, and I think that the SPL they're trying to achieve over the area might be attainable with one line array on each side of the building. Might even be possible to get adequate coverage across the street at the park that way.

Personally I think that having a completely separate system for the park, with local control, would be beneficial. They still would like the capability to have the same program material playing in both locations. I envision problems with time delay in that scenario, unless we put in a piece of equipment to deal with it, but I'll save that question for later. I'm open to any suggestions. I guess the actual question I wanted to ask though, is, is there a good wireless method of sending a line-out from one system to the other? Kind of like a wirelss microphone, but using a line level signal?

Thanks!
    ​Jason

Originally posted by jasonc View Post
    ... except that intelligibility is not very good when using the microphones, and the sound being transmitted to the building annoys the occupants of the offices inside during business hours. They would like to update the system to reduce the sound levels that are heard inside the building, and they also want provide better sound coverage to a small park on the perimeter of the square that is 100-150 feet away. ... One idea I have is using line array type speakers mounted lower on the walls of the building. ...
    Based upon this brief description of the situation, I would not be inclined to use a line array.
    I'd rather send/broadcast a signal to that distant zone and raise the Direct Sound there, thus lowering the overall level and noise pollution elsewhere

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

The current system is roughly 20 years old and has worked reasonably well, except that intelligibility is not very good when using the microphones,
      Could just be low quality microphones. What are they? But accoustics are a contributing factor too for sure.

and the sound being transmitted to the building annoys the occupants of the offices inside during business hours. They would like to update the system to reduce the sound levels that are heard inside the building,
      Better results will be achieved by mechanically isolating the speakers from the building and adding sound absorbing materials more so than changing the speaker system.

Personally I think that having a completely separate system for the park, with local control, would be beneficial. They still would like the capability to have the same program material playing in both locations. I envision problems with time delay in that scenario, unless we put in a piece of equipment to deal with it, but I'll save that question for later. I'm open to any suggestions. I guess the actual question I wanted to ask though, is, is there a good wireless method of sending a line-out from one system to the other? Kind of like a wirelss microphone, but using a line level signal?
      Agree this is a better solution, have a look this wireless system. https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless

Paul O

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The microphones are Shure, but they probably low-end, maybe something in the PG range. But we're just talking about spoken word, for the most part. I'll find out. I actually think the problem is more related to echo off the buildings across the street. Louder seems to make it worse. Everything is flat, brick, glass, etc...

That last product is exactly what I was thinking about, just didn't know where to look. I'll investigate a little more. As I said, I see my role here to be more just pointing out options to those in charge of making decisions, rather than actually recommending anything. They are averse to spending the money to have a professional involved. But considering that the goals are pretty modest and they already have something that gets them pretty close, I think it can turn out okay.

Comment

Any wireless system will require that you have ac power available at each speaker and either a powered speaker or a separate amp to run the speaker at the remote location. The next thing is that all of that equipment will need to be in a weather proof housing.
          The Alto mentioned system is fairly low power and unless there is a new version it operates in the 600mhz band that with in a couple years will be illegal to use in the US since that band width was sold to T-Mobile.

Most systems like your wanting to put together use a 70 volt distributed speaker system and during the course of new street light installation wiring is ran for the speakers, not saying over head wires could not be ran but depending on your street layout that may not work if there are no overhead pole attachment points.
          Keep in mind there is a big difference in equipment that is list as "weather resistant" and what is listed as "weather proof".
          Even weather proof speakers outside 24/7 will need to be replaced at some point, depending on your location will be a factor in how long they last.
          I don't think you Peavey PR speakers were ever intended for outdoor installations.
          Mike Caldwell
          http://www.mikecaldwellaudioproductions.com

Comment

Mike Caldwell
            http://www.mikecaldwellaudioproductions.com

Comment

Working...
            X