Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring/cleaning up some old-school Fane Studio Colossus 15B's!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring/cleaning up some old-school Fane Studio Colossus 15B's!

I bought three of these on Ebay. The old man used to have some back in the day, so more of a nostalgia thing than anything.

Cleaned up the frames, polished the motor steel plates, coated the cone with The Wet Look, and applied a thin layer of silicone to the spider.

Last edited by guitar maestro; 07-18-2018, 03:36 PM. Reason: re-uploaded the pics, I dunno what happened, lol.

Brushed silicone on the spider - I never heard of that technique. Sounds interesting.

​How did you achieve the "wet look"? I'm thinking of doing the same to my PA310 (to waterproof it a little), but rubbing silicone over the surface of the cone.
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

As far as the silicone, I got to thinking: lots of manufacturer's (RCF, 18sound, B&C, Precision Devices, Fane, etc) in the pro-audio field are turning to silicone-based damper systems in place of the traditional single- or dual-spider. What most seem to be doing is sandwiching two spiders with a layer of silicone between them. Silicone has a great memory-retention once it's dried, kinda like rubber does, but not as heavy. I believe I had read it has more actual damping as well.

18 Sound PDF - Double and Triple Silicone Spiders

"The wet Look" is the coating that PE sells, Part # 340-513. Works great and has an amazing shelf life. My 4oz bottle sat outside on a shelf for at least 2.5 years including grueling Texas summers (which is basically 3 seasons out of the year. It was in the shade but still, I left it outside, not thinking I would ever need it again. So I go and grab it thinking it will be entirely hardened/dried out. Literally nothing dried out. Shocked. Completely liquid, nothing separated within it at all, nothing settled or anything! Didn't even have to shake it up. Great product. Highly recommend it over applying silicone on the cone. Lots of users say that it "seems" to slightly stiffen up the cone once it's dried, and maybe it's placebo, but I think they are on to something. It seems to stiffen it up just every so slightly. I'm going to apply it to the backside of these three Fane Colossus 15s to get a better feel for that aspect of it.
      Last edited by guitar maestro; 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X