pa sub build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pa sub build

hi I was going to build an EAW sb180zp subwoofer box and was wondering if any of these subs would work with it selenium 18sws800, eminence sigma pro-18a-2, or the eminence omega pro-18a?

The Omega Pro18 isn't really a sub driver by modern standards and the other two aren't much better, any particular reason why they are on the list? The PV Lowrider 18 blows all of these away if you're looking for a budget driver, it will actually take full power in this box while the others would have to be limited to as little as a couple hundred watts in some cases.
    Paul O

Comment

The reason they were on the list is because I have them. Would there be a good cabinet for these subs. I got them all for 80 bucks.

Comment

You have 1 of each or quantities?
        Paul O

Comment

The Selenium is the best sub of the bunch, put it in a 6 cu ft box tuned to 38hz and it will produce what is expected from a modern sub in terms of sound, but it will only take about half it's rated power before exceeding excursion limits. The other two drivers won't go as low or take as much power.
          Paul O

Comment

I have one of each i do also have two of the 15 inch selenium models.

Comment

Originally Posted by Paul O
              The Omega Pro18 isn't really a sub driver by modern standards and the other two aren't much better, any particular reason why they are on the list? The PV Lowrider 18 blows all of these away if you're looking for a budget driver, it will actually take full power in this box while the other essay typer tool would have to be limited to as little as a couple hundred watts in some cases.
              The Selenium is the best sub of the bunch, put it in a 6 cu ft box tuned to 38hz and it will produce what is expected from a modern sub in terms of sound, but it will only take about half it's rated power before exceeding excursion limits. The other two drivers won't go as low or take as much power.
              I've found a couple of diy projects and reviews on the prosoundweb forum, and mostly the guys are not satisfied with Selenium 18SWS800. What could be the best alternative? Thanks.
              Last edited by TerryLewis; 07-02-2019, 04:25 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

What's the lowest frequency you're trying to reproduce? It looks like the sb180zp was only sensitive to 92dB at 40hz. But I'm not the best chart reader. Even so, it's obvious that design wasn't much use below 40Hz.

I don't know why you'd want to reproduce that box. It's not the most attractive design, to me at least. The baffle could be smaller in both directions to pack more units in a given space, at the expensive of added depth. Or if footprint is important and you're only making one, you could make the box taller. To me, half(or more) the fun of DIY is being able to choose your own box dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchcm14 View Post
                  hi I was going to build an EAW sb180zp subwoofer box and was wondering if any of these subs would work with it selenium 18sws800, eminence sigma pro-18a-2, or the eminence omega pro-18a?
                  I built two (2) 18" subs using the Sigma Pro's you are referencing. They have more punch then I know what to do with. They take very little input power and small enclosure for a ported setup. If you are trying to dig deeper I highly recommend against them. They were never designed in my eyes as being a true PA sub-woofer.

BTW don't laugh at my grilles; this was before I found a mfg who would custom form expanded/perforated steel for me and powder-coat it.

43Hz @ 4.5ft^3 if I remember correctly

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170625_101928_resized.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	1430058
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	wer.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	1430059
                  "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

I built two (2) 18" subs using the Sigma Pro's you are referencing. They have more punch then I know what to do with. They take very little input power and small enclosure for a ported setup. If you are trying to dig deeper I highly recommend against them. They were never designed in my eyes as being a true PA sub-woofer.

BTW don't laugh at my grilles; this was before I found a mfg who would custom form expanded/perforated steel for me and powder-coat it.
                    That's a pretty decent build - nothing to laugh about. It looks though like you were going to go with two shelf vents per sub, but changed your mind and went with one per sub instead....
                    Brian Steele
                    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

That's a pretty decent build - nothing to laugh about. It looks though like you were going to go with two shelf vents per sub, but changed your mind and went with one per sub instead....
                      Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. It was my first project my Father and I attempted. We made some mistakes, fixed a few of them, and definitely learned a lot. You are correct about the shelf vents. I was using some online free calculator that doubled everything and was very misleading. I caught it at the last minute in the construction process thank goodness. Those subs would have tuned so high if I'm not mistaken.

All in all it sounds good, but I run out of extension rather quickly with those Sigma's. When I chose those drivers I was under the impression you could have high sensitivity and extension (The cake mentality). I was severely mistaken. The mid bass sounds phenomenal though and hits hard in your chest. Fidelity is on point, but the MTM's should have been vertical in reality.
                      "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Working...
                      X