Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete 2-way monitor speakers, a good idea??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, I've pondered the idea a few times. A few thoughts on this:

- Unreinforced concrete can and will crack. You might consider fiberglass additive, like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/32-500-4-Inch.../dp/B000CODWAE

- Formwork would be difficult. You'd want to incorporate the speaker and other cutouts in the form. Perhaps Styrofoam would be a good internal form material, since you could hog it out or use acetone to dissolve it. I think you'd also want to do a monolithic cast, since doing it in separate pieces would require a construction joint.

- Choose your mix wisely. Regular old ready mix has fairly large aggregate for the wall thickness you are describing. You'd probably see the aggregate, and have visible voids. In any case, getting a fine finish might be tough.

- Getting the concrete to fully fill the form without voids might be tough too. You might consider some way of vibrating the form during the pour to help the air work it's way up and out.

- Not sure what the best way to mount the speakers would be. Perhaps adhesive (silicone?)

Comment

Originally posted by duronboy View Post
      I didn't know that. Parts Express doesn't know that.
      Just because PE sells them in the pro section doesn't mean they're pro. I'm just saying the stated line of reasoning isn't something everyone has considered.
      They have to list them somewhere. Consider the best selling near field monitor of all time, the Yamaha NS-10M. It was a hi-fi speaker. Yamaha eventually came up with with an NS-10M Studio, but that was long after the hi-fi version had become a ubiquitous studio fixture.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Chads post reminds me of a video I watched a while back. There definitely better mixes than others and they get pretty fine. As far as mounting drivers, I don't see why one couldn't have bolt holes in the mold.

But yeah, concrete looks to be a way bigger deal than MDF or wood.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          They have to list them somewhere. Consider the best selling near field monitor of all time, the Yamaha NS-10M. It was a hi-fi speaker. Yamaha eventually came up with with an NS-10M Studio, but that was long after the hi-fi version had become a ubiquitous studio fixture.
          They could have listed monitors in the home A/V space. But they didn't.

Consider all the other retailers sell studio monitors that sell strictly music/content creation tools and practically zero openly consumer A/V.

Look at the backs of the average studio monitors. Do those look consumer friendly?

I'm not saying their average quality is professional, or that consumers don't buy monitors. But the average PA system sold might not pass those two indicators, either.

Comment

Working...
          X