Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Cabinet finishing ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understood. I don't need really smooth, but I desire passable results for use in a home setting. I'll order a qt. and spray some MDF to get a sense of what is easily achieved. Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

When I do a pro-sound cab I use a hopper gun, starting with a fine nozzle. That gives too fine a finish for my taste, but it's good for even coverage with the first coat or two. Then I go to a large nozzle for a final spatter coat.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks again. I'll experiment once I can do something out of doors. I have two Devilbiss guns(conventional) and a cheapie hopper that work well. It's still below freezing here at night, so I am simply planning and gathering media.

Comment

I've never tried a regular gun, I doubt it would work unless it was thinned. The trouble when you do that is it's too runny, it drips all over the place, more like colored water than a paint. Even at a 4:1 Duratex to water ratio it's too thin to coat well, but still too thick for a paint gun.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Thanks yet again. I have sprayed really thick coatings with my airless(another tool I possess). I sprayed concrete block coating with it; and I swear that stuff had concrete in it. I don't recall how much a 5 gal. pail of the stuff weighed, but "a lot" fits. Lots of solids in that stuff. I don't even know that it was supposed to be sold to the general public when I bought it. I bought it at auction; no questions asked.

I am NOT a painter. I only paint when necessary. That said, I DIY most everything - painting included.

Thanks again, Bill. I'm fairly unsure I can get the job done. That generally heralds success.

Comment

Airless I don't have, but my $29.95 Harbor Freight hopper gun handles DuraTex like a champ. The only issue with it is the airflow is never off, so even when you're not spraying it's draining your compressor tank of air. I put an air shutoff valve on mine to turn off the airflow between coats.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Hey Bill, what PSI do you use? The gun says it consumes 8 cu ft min at 90-psi, that would be a BIG compressor.

Comment

I run it around 50-60 PSI. It does use a lot of air, because it's blowing a lot of material, but I still can give a full coat to a large cab without the tank draining, and that's with the gun always shooting air, even when it's not shooting material. My compressor is nothing special, a $150 8 gallon Husky.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Got it, thanks!

Comment

My eternal thanks, Bill. I may have to try a gun with hopper feed. I used one some 30 years ago. That was an airbrush kit with a gravity feed(it was a really pricey kit). I was able to do stuff with that, so there is hope.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        The texture is varied via the nozzle size on the sprayer gun, not by thinning the product. If you want it really smooth, however, don't use it. It's called Dura TEX for a reason.
                        I have gotten less texture by using a regular house paint roller. It is tricky because you have to apply the right amount of pressure or the roller wants to slide across the surface instead if rolling. You get the hang of it pretty quick thought.

Comment

Working...
                        X