Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exceptional 18" drivers for 8 cu.ft., 25hz tuning ported box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exceptional 18" drivers for 8 cu.ft., 25hz tuning ported box?

Hello guys,

I need to find great performing, high output (and suitable for the EXISTING boxes) 18" drivers for 8 cu.ft., tuned to 25hz sub boxes.
    I already have the boxes and they are good quality so I intend to use them.

The original drivers were the exceptional Aura 1808, but now those are unobtanium.
    I need suitable replacements given the box (maybe not as good as the Aura with 18mm xmax but something that will work well)

Purpose: small outdoor gigs.

My current findings (that model well in WinISD)
    Ciare 18.00SW-4

Your thoughts or recommendations would be truly appreciated.

regards,
    Herman

Dayton's RSS460HO-4 should better 105dB @ 24Hz @ 500wRMS in THAT box

Comment

LaVoce SAF184.03

Comment

4 ohm? Take a look at the Eminence Impero 18. Heck, if you want 8 ohm (though why would you?), the Impero 18 8 ohm version will work. The 4 ohm version in that box tuned to 25 Hz will bble oe well damped and capable of 115+db at Xmax with 300 watts. If you are willing to alter tuning (raise the box to 30-32 Hz by shortening the vent) you will get better performance. Try playing around with both versions in WinISD...

Comment

You can get the Aurasound NS18-992-4A on Madisound.

You can also get an Adire Audio Kali 18", that should blow pretty much any 18" out of the water for clean, clear deep bass reproduction. 4" coil, XBL², dual flux demodulation/shorting rings, 40mm one-way X-max. 3kW RMS.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
            You can also get an Adire Audio Kali 18", that should blow pretty much any 18" out of the water for clean, clear deep bass reproduction. 4" coil, XBL², dual flux demodulation/shorting rings, 40mm one-way X-max. 3kW RMS.
            No technical specs on the site though. For that price, I'd want to see the t/s parameters and an impedance curve at least.

Hopefully the characters selling that driver are not like the ones at Stereo Integrity, who got a bit hot and bothered on their FB page because I raised a query about the driver's high Le/Re ratio....
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

The Adire won't work for a couple of reasons. Too expensive, low sensitivity. This is PA so no need for 20hz output outdoors. Currently looking at McCauley 6174....

Comment

Originally posted by noviygera View Post
                The Adire won't work for a couple of reasons. Too expensive, low sensitivity. This is PA so no need for 20hz output outdoors. Currently looking at McCauley 6174....
                Gotcha. Take a look at the offerings from Beyma. I like a lot of the specs on their line-up.

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

No technical specs on the site though. For that price, I'd want to see the t/s parameters and an impedance curve at least.

Hopefully the characters selling that driver are not like the ones at Stereo Integrity, who got a bit hot and bothered on their FB page because I raised a query about the driver's high Le/Re ratio....
                With a (relatively) short coil necessary for XBL² motor, and with shorting rings, I'm pretty sure Le/Re won't be too much of an issue for it's intended purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Le/Re won't be too much of an issue for it's intended purpose.
                  It seldom is with a subwoofer.
                  This is PA so no need for 20hz output outdoors.
                  There's no need to go lower than 30Hz in pro-sound.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                    There's no need to go lower than 30Hz in pro-sound.
                    No need? Little need, maybe, but only because some people keep insisting it's pointless. I used to be one of those people. I can't see how you're one of those people considering you sell designs for subs supposedly capable of 25hz.

There's a bit of sub-30hz stuff on youtube, some of it's rap and pop that's been slowed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mccQutJk3oM

Can't say I enjoy most of it, but some yes. The capability of hitting below 30hz is here, at least in a very limited number of systems. https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels...the_new_50_hz/

Comment

I've taken over a hundred RTAs of national and international touring acts, playing through million dollar plus systems fully capable of going to 20Hz. None had meaningful content below 35Hz. 25Hz and below has its place in home theaters, but that's it. Even real theaters don't bother probing those depths.
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        I've taken over a hundred RTAs of national and international touring acts, playing through million dollar plus systems fully capable of going to 20Hz. None had meaningful content below 35Hz. 25Hz and below has its place in home theaters, but that's it. Even real theaters don't bother probing those depths.
                        I do doubt, as a percentage, many national touring acts are actually capable delivering 25-ish-hz frequencies at the level necessary to make the WOW experience they're capable of causing.

I think there are enough genres that appeal to enough people that contain, or could contain added sub-30hz content. Tool fans maybe, Taylor Swift, maybe not? Definitely hip-hop, definitely metal, definitely electronic. Then there's old weirdo organ music from like 50-100 years ago that goes down to 16hz. I'm not really sure how many churchgoers will appreciate that, but with the subs my dad is having me build, they could get the chance to experience it! lol

But the main problem is not enough people are trying to do it. 35hz is deep, and acceptably deep for the vast majority of people, so that's as good as we can hope for.

I've been underwhelmed by nearly every theater. Theaters are terrible. For a lot of reasons. But theaters are trying minimize interference between rooms their jam-packed buildings. You get 45-50hz in a lot of theaters.

Comment

Wrote a long reply and it was flagged as spam. Nice one, PE.

Comment

Working...
                          X