Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seismic Audio - Any thoughts RE: their PA speakers? see link

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/.../lava%2015.htm

For 400 shipped during their sale...very tempting.

I know their website has some very cheap items, so no need to bash the company.

Maybe I should just look for used QSC, JBL and Peavey gear.

I was looking for some Peavy SP2 or SP3 speakers...but at 500/600 a piece....that's a LOT more money.

I was thinking of getting the Seismic's just for the Cabinets, and then upgrading them as needed.

Re: Seismic Audio - Any thoughts RE: their PA speakers? see link

No good man. Their stuff is as bad as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
      I was thinking of getting the Seismic's just for the Cabinets, and then upgrading them as needed.
      They're cheap particle board. Avoid.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        They're cheap particle board. Avoid.
        So are Yamaha's, and twelve other brand names I can name, ha!. I actually don't have much of a problem with particle board, it's just the construction quality. That company could use baltic birch and they would still be rubbish cabinets by the way they are constructed. A particle board cabinet is essentially as strong as anything else if it's constructed right. Just can't take as much abuse, and turns to mush when it gets wet. But like I said, the panel material is the least of the issues...

Comment

Did anyone look at the link?

It says 9 ply plywood...not horrible...not the best.

I have seen the lower end cabinents...yes..particle board and inadequate bracing.

However the link shows the "premium" cabinent.

I contacted seismic for some more info.

I do like the look of the front metal grill...with grill cloth underneath...and the painted finish...instead of the carpet. My 2 cents.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLsI...eature=related

RTA of the Seismic 15's.

Obviously there are in-room artifacts at issue, but this sound guy likes the sound....at least compared to his old piezo's.

My guess is that the 3khz crossover is there to protect the small compression driver, and perhaps the natural rise of the 15" is not accomodated for...hence the midrange boost....not sure though.

Comment

It says 9 ply plywood...not horrible...not the best.

Like I said, it doesn't matter what material they use, it will not be constructed well. But it sounds like you answered your own question and you're set on buying them, so go ahead.

Comment

this sound guy likes the sound....at least compared to his old piezo's.
                That's saying a lot. :rolleyes: lol

Comment

This picture right here says everything I need to know about the quality.

Good Lord -

-Absolute rubbish inconsistent finish
                  -Bottom Half of the jack plate appears to be recessed while the top half isn't
                  -The jack plate is all bent around the screws
                  -To the left of the jack plate above the middle screw looks to be some raw plywood showing.

Enough lack of attention to detail to turn me away. I build pro cabinets and I know enough to see this and can only imagine how they slap the rest of it together over in china...

And this is the manufactures image!! They picked the best one to photograph.

Comment

Obviously there are in-room artifacts at issue.
                    This video is a perfect example why you CANNOT test a loudspeaker in a room, period!. That 3khz response rise is tied to room interactions, and we know that because 6db cuts on the EQ did nothing to correct it.

My guess is that the 3khz crossover is there to protect the small compression driver, and perhaps the natural rise of the 15" is not accomodated for.
                    Yes the 3k crossover is there to protect the puny little CD, and running a prosound 15 to 3kz will usually produce quite a midrange response rise... on axis, but there will be nothing from 15deg off axis and beyond. THIS is why 15's should never be crossed higher than 800hz and THIS is why the 15+1 PA speaker system is such a compromised design. If you want to put lots of SPL right in front of the speakers they're fine but if you want wide coverage it's just about the worst speaker config you can buy.. everything else out there does a better job.
                    I have no comment on these speakers directly except that if you plan on buying budget speakers and subs will be used then get 12+1 or 10+1 versions instead.
                    Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by paul O View Post
                      yes The 3k Crossover Is There To Protect The Puny Little Cd, And Running A Prosound 15 To 3kz Will Usually Produce Quite A Midrange Response Rise... On Axis, But There Will Be Nothing From 15deg Off Axis And Beyond. This Is Why 15's Should Never Be Crossed Higher Than 800hz And This Is Why The 15+1 Pa Speaker System Is Such A Compromised Design.
                      +1000000000000000000 I couldn't agree more.

Comment

However the link shows the "premium" cabinent.

For the price of their 'premium' cabs you can get a good speaker from Yahama, Peavey, etc. A 3kHz crossover with a fifteen? Really...
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction......

I'm NOT going to buy a pair.

Comment

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction......

I'm NOT going to buy a pair.
                            Not having heard a set I can't really give an opinion but it would be hard to do a DIY box for less than what a Seismic charges.

Probably a better value than the Pyle/Custom stuff and the 100's of plastic tubs masquerading as speakers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                              Not having heard a set I can't really give an opinion but it would be hard to do a DIY box for less than what a Seismic charges.
                              Not really, about $150 for a decent eminence woofer and compression driver per speaker....plus a sheet of chinese plywood if that's what you want to use, or MDF. Couple crossover components.....

Comment

Working...
                              X