X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ludo
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2008

Dayton 18" for subwoofer

Is this a decent 18" driver for a light duty, PA subwoofer - seems like a steal for under $100

Model shows 40Hz f3 in a 6.5cu-ft enclosure tuned to 38Hz, and 122dB of x-max limited ouput.
    Last edited by Ludo; 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM. Reason: Forgot link
  • wg_ski
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2005

Re: Dayton 18" for subwoofer

Cheaper alternative to Omega Pro 18 with almost identical capability. Back when I bought *mine* they were only $100 as well. Ok as long as you don't use anything bigger than an RMX2450 (non-bridged).

Comment

• Ludo
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by wg_ski
      Cheaper alternative to Omega Pro 18 with almost identical capability. Back when I bought *mine* they were only $100 as well. Ok as long as you don't use anything bigger than an RMX2450 (non-bridged).
      Thanks, so that's a 500Wpc into 8-ohms, amp. I'd be using a 375W bridged, Stewart Audio Amp so it should be ok.

Are you satisfied with the Omega Pro 18?

Comment

• wg_ski
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Sep 2005

They're fine for their intended purpose, but I'm spoiled. I'm used to subs with a whole lot less distortion these days. I still keep them as loaners.

Comment

• Ludo
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by wg_ski
          They're fine for their intended purpose, but I'm spoiled. I'm used to subs with a whole lot less distortion these days. I still keep them as loaners.

I haven't had the opportunity to get spoiled yet so I'm seriously considering getting one of these subs.

By the way, I was wrong about my Stewart Amp; it's actually rated at 700W into 8-ohms, bridged. Might be a bit much for this driver then?

Comment

• AMC
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Ludo
            I haven't had the opportunity to get spoiled yet so I'm seriously considering getting one of these subs.

By the way, I was wrong about my Stewart Amp; it's actually rated at 700W into 8-ohms, bridged. Might be a bit much for this driver then?
            Run 2 in stereo! or just be sensible on the levels.

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
              Obsessed & Proud of It
              • Nov 2006

Does your rig not have any volume controls?
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• wg_ski
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Sep 2005

Might be a bit much for this driver then?
                Depends if you're going to let a DJ anywhere near it. :D "Light duty PA" can have a broad range of meaning.

Comment

• Ludo
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice
                  Does your rig not have any volume controls?
                  Yeah, for sure ;)

Just need to keep an eye on the kids if they decide to switch iPods when I step away to get another cold one. My "gigs" are all with friends and family so control of the sound system is pretty losely regulated.

I'd probably run the single sub on one channel then; just to have a little piece of mind.

Comment

• Ludo
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Sep 2008

I've been using the Dayton PA460 in a 7cu-ft enclosure for about two months now and although I am pleased with its output, it sounds kinda muddy on some material. Tuning is to 35Hz via 6 x 3.25" x 13" ports.

Listening within a foot of the driver, I hear some random sounding background noise, distortion perhaps, even at modest volume. Any suggestions, or is this to be expected from a driver at this price point and if that's the case, any recommendations on a driver upgrade < $350?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2741.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	897.8 KB
ID:	1144813

Comment

• AMC
                      • Feb 2010

Re: Dayton 18&quot; for subwoofer

I've been using the Dayton PA460 in a 7cu-ft enclosure for about two months now and although I am pleased with its output, it sounds kinda muddy on some material. Tuning is to 35Hz via 6 x 3.25" x 13" ports.

Listening within a foot of the driver, I hear some random sounding background noise, distortion perhaps, even at modest volume. Any suggestions, or is this to be expected from a driver at this price point and if that's the case, any recommendations on a driver upgrade < $350?
                      At reasonable levels you shouldn't be having to much distortion. One possibility, are you using a high pass filter? If not some of content below the 35Hz (there is not much, but there is some) will be nothing but distortion. Also, (putting by biologist hat on) ears distort also. As you get closer, the SPL goes up, and distortion can set in, in you.

Comment

• Ludo
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by AMC
                        At reasonable levels you shouldn't be having to much distortion. One possibility, are you using a high pass filter? If not some of content below the 35Hz (there is not much, but there is some) will be nothing but distortion. Also, (putting by biologist hat on) ears distort also. As you get closer, the SPL goes up, and distortion can set in, in you.
                        I'm using a DBX 2-way, stereo x-over, set to 100Hz LP and have the 40Hz HP filters switched in; L/R are summed out in mono to a Pyle PT2000 set to bridged mode.
                        I should probably measure the distortion to see whether its reasonable.

Louis

Comment

• Sydney
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Dec 2010

Listening within a foot of the driver, I hear some random sounding background noise, distortion perhaps, even at modest volume.
                          How much excursion do you observe when this occurs?
                          ( doesn't sound normal to me )
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

• Ludo
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sydney
                            How much excursion do you observe when this occurs?
                            ( doesn't sound normal to me )
                            The cone is barely moving and the ports are generating almost imperceptible air flow.

Ok, I'm really puzzled now and will run some tones through it tomorrow and measure the harmonic levels.
                            The TS parameters measured fine; attached WT3 plot below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	1144816

Comment

• Sydney
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Dec 2010

The cone is barely moving and the ports are generating almost imperceptible air flow.
                              I'd say something is amiss.
                              I would sweep tones at increasing power levels to try to isolate the spurious content.
                              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...