Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Cube Cab

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Your making the assumption that the concert you described is not full of problems.
    +1, and for over three decades the quality of concert sound was spotty, to say the least. I worked as a consulting acoustical engineer at a major concert venue during the transition years from all cluster to all line arrays. While some cluster arrays sounded OK, the best of them didn't sound as good as the worst line arrays. The worst cluster arrays were abominable. A thorough treatise on the evolution of concert sound can be found here and in the chapters following it:
    http://www.gtaust.com/filter/05/07.shtml
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      A thorough treatise on the evolution of concert sound can be found here and in the chapters following it:
      http://www.gtaust.com/filter/05/07.shtml
      I have read through that in the past. Very interesting and historical. In the end of it I was left with the conclusion that there is no perfect system. Every type has it's limitations and in the end you are left with the task of selecting the compromises that you can tolerate best. (of course that sums up sound reproduction in general)

Comment

I was left with the conclusion that there is no perfect system.
        Of course not. But you'll get a better result if the system is engineered, rather than thrown together with no regard to basic acoustical engineering concepts. Most touring sound operators of the 60s-80s did so because very few of them had any knowledge of those concepts. All they knew was that if one box wasn't enough you used two, if two weren't enough you used four, etc. One notable exception was the Dead's Wall of Sound, which not surprisingly has much in common with today's touring sound systems.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I'm thinking the best compromise is the shortest line array possible for the given task. Where 99db sensitivity per cab just doesn't cut it.
          jmo.
          Two very good sociological markers.
          The state of our public wash rooms.
          How we treat each other behind the safety of a monitor and key board.

Comment

With those 5" drivers I would have gone 2 wide cross fired. Tweeters positioned in front of the cross fired 5" drivers.
            Two very good sociological markers.
            The state of our public wash rooms.
            How we treat each other behind the safety of a monitor and key board.

Comment

I have read through that in the past. Very interesting and historical. In the end of it I was left with the conclusion that there is no perfect system. Every type has it's limitations and in the end you are left with the task of selecting the compromises that you can tolerate best. (of course that sums up sound reproduction in general)
              Kudos for that.
              I would encourage that others read the entire Gtaust series as it puts things in proper perspective. Later chapters of the series note that the resurgence of array concepts and commercial development was due to advances in electronics that allowed for sophisticated signal manipulation and pattern control.
              A later chapter states "The big conventional array is not dead." and lists some of the criteria for when it is appropriate.
              Bob McCarthy ( re Sound System Design ) appreciates and pragmatically accepts that sound systems have performance parameters that can be quantified. He notes repeatedly that is a matter of "the right tool for the job".
              He also notes ( also noted later in the GTAUST series ) that the audio industry is subject to advertising hype that will often tout a design as a panacea, rather than objectively noting performance characteristics that determine appropriateness and aid correct setup and usage.
              Anecdotal he lists situations when there has been pressure to use and implement the wrong design for the situation from those who don't know better.
              Any design poorly implemented/operated sounds bad: I've heard the same line arrays setup and operated by different individuals produce dramatically different sound outcomes.
              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
              X