Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xmax in a horn?

Hi diy speaker guy,

Very good to know, I will be looking for more of his work online.

Hornresp is an absolutely incredible piece of work, I can't even comprehend why such a powerful piece of software is free.

Thank You!

Regards,
    Eric
    Pro/Fi Cinema Speaker project: "From the Ashes"

Comment

I can't even comprehend why such a powerful piece of software is free.
      I'd opine that DIYers intrinsically want to share and benefit from the open exchange.
      Ed Dells mags are a prime example: authors published theory and formulas, then programs and later spreadsheet tools
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by mdocod View Post
        Hi diy speaker guy,

Very good to know, I will be looking for more of his work online.

Hornresp is an absolutely incredible piece of work, I can't even comprehend why such a powerful piece of software is free.

Thank You!

Regards,
        Eric
        David McBean is an older gentleman now, I don't know how old but the first versions of hornresp were printed on those data punch cards (instead of saved on a hard drive like we do today).

As far as I know this is just his hobby and passion and he's never charged for it. He's not interested in money, he won't accept donations, he just wants it to be the best it can be. He even has a massive thread at diyaudio (subwoofer section) that he started around version 18 where he discusses hornresp, entertains suggestions (and usually implements them), accepts error reports (there are a few since he updates the program almost weekly) and lets people know of new updates and features.

The only thing holding Hornresp back now is the limited number of segments, inability to simulate stuffing (in anything other than sealed chambers), and inability to model diffraction. Otherwise, it's almost as fully featured as Akabak (at least features you will actually use). And the sliders make the program the fastest and easiest to use in the world, as far as I know.

He's a man of true integrity and he spends a massive amount of time and energy on this program, if you appreciate hornresp I'm sure he would appreciate your comments, you can message him directly or drop a line in the hornresp thread at diyaudio.

Ironically I don't think McBean builds anything, his passion is programming and being able to simulate.

(Just to be painfully clear, David McBean is the guy that wrote hornresp, soho54 is the guy that writes the great tutorials.)
        Don't even try
        to sort out the lies
        it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

Built a 110Hz to 1900hz horn from 4 alpha 6a. It sounds very nice with little to no EQ (in my room) according to my ears and playing with the equalizer a lot. But the thing is massive. [I took the ports out and as it just did not sound good ported this way and made other modifications. But then had to add pink foam to reduce volume.]

Going for a 105Hz to 1600hz horn from 2 alpha 6a to see if that will work. If it does then going to try out the new Beta 6a in it!

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/spe...?model=Beta_6A

It has much better Xmax and better mechanical limit.
          Attached Files
          Two very good sociological markers.
          The state of our public wash rooms.
          How we treat each other behind the safety of a monitor and key board.

Comment

hello,
            driver excursion in a folded horn

« on: June 27, 2006, 08:15:23 pm »
            Hello,

As far as I understand, in a front loaded, vented
            box, the excursion of the driver(s) increase as
            the frequency decreases, then the excursion
            decreases down to the tuning frequency, and then
            it shoots up below the tuning frequency.

OK, now for the question: is there a "rule" like
            this for a folded horn? If so, what would an
            excursion vs. frequency graph look like?Subway Surfers Psiphon Hill Climb Racing
            Last edited by celia; 12-05-2018, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X