Bass horn pic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass horn pic

Learned alot from this build and also from the other thread "Bass horn designers". Nothing special about this build, typical spiral, except that the first 32" expands in the vertical direction until it meets up with the cab width then expands like a "normal" horn. Should have thought about the layout a little more. Could have designed the rear chamber in such a way to incorporate it with the horn flare. Would have saved space, wood, weight. Also, should have recalculated the flare to get rid of the silly little angles and just went straight. At least I built it small enough to get it through 32 inch door.:D Should have it buttoned up today and I'll post measurements friday. Next project is to make a circular traxic horn for the 2" CD.
    Robert.
    Attached Files

Re: Bass horn pic

Does the driver install on the other side? I don't see provisions for an access panel yet on this side. BTW - which driver?

Is your midrange working well enough yet?

And the $64k question... are you building more than one?

Comment

Both sides, but again I wanted lots of room for getting to the tnuts and made the chamber too big so the access panel actually is inside. You can't see it from the pic. Then I realized the driver takes up room and on this design the chamber is only happy at 45L. Too much more or less and the freq goes crazy. So I'm just going to make it normal and I have a bunch of solid styrofoam that I'll glue onto the access panel to get the right volume. The driver will eventually be kappa pro 15lf2 if I ever can save enough for it. But right now I'm gonna have some fun with the Dayton pro 15. I Have enough room where I can just put in a new baffle for the kappa pro. Sims are simular with the same horn. Pics are with 400W .5pi. I'm gonna live with the mid range for now. I can get the 2" cd down to meet it. Will I be building another one? Four flat to 38 2pi so thats what I was going to do:D But, big and heavy. Well, depends how it sounds. I think there are easier and better builds out there, but I'm learning. Robert.

Originally posted by wg_ski View Post
      Does the driver install on the other side? I don't see provisions for an access panel yet on this side. BTW - which driver?

Attached Files

Comment

Had this done for awhile but just now had time to post some pics. Nope, won't be building another one. Just way too hard to build and too big and heavy. My buddy was playing one of his favorite songs and said the bass was really clean. I love horns so I know I wouln't be a good judge. The measurements show that it's alright. Would have liked to see the one go down a little lower, but four should have gotten me to 40hz. I originally designed the front chamber just like in the pic. However asking some questions on here and found out it doesn't really matter with LF notes, I was just going to go with rectangle shape, but when I modeled the huge chamber the freq was junk. So, since I had to meet up with a 4x16 throat I went back to the original design. Scratched my head on that one, well lots of head scratching on the whole build.:D I did add mouth bracing after that pic was taken. I was just happy I got the darn thing off my work table that day. Got a hundred in wood so I going to put in on craigslist for 100 and see if some young strong DJ might want it. Put in a 80 dollar driver and get 125dB at 50hz isn't to bad.
        Attached Files

Comment

couple more pics. I guess if you corner load it you may get to 40hz. I'm 6-2 so you can see it's stupid big and way heavy. But again, I'm learning. I have all of BF designs, don't know why I just don't build the Titian 48 and be done with it, or the LAB:D
          Attached Files

Comment

Mid range, good as that's going to get. That's even cutting it close to match up with the 2 inch cd. CD needs a steep slope.
            Attached Files

Comment

Not naming any names, but some around here aren't afraid to use +/-10dB of EQ to flatten out a speaker system's response. This don't look any more unflattenable on top than the upper end of your typical 2" driver. Then you just apply an 800 or 1k crossover.....

Comment

Not naming any names, but some around here aren't afraid to use +/-10dB of EQ to flatten out a speaker system's response. This don't look any more unflattenable on top than the upper end of your typical 2" driver. Then you just apply an 800 or 1k crossover.....
                Yep, I'm not afraid, going to bring the whole thing out to my buddies warehouse and fire up the dcx and see what it sounds like. If I could get the mids high end up I would feel better mating it to the 2 inch. I have to get a new lens for the two inch cd. I bought the cheapest one and it just screams in your face. Very narrow beam. The bass horn still isn't any kind of sub, but two would be good for small parties. Need two more amps though. I have the new Behringer 3000 and Ep4000. Something very wrong with the 3000 and I didn't register or keep the receit. I know shame on me. But the bridge mono works for bass. Wish I could afford a rack of Lab groupens and Qsc Plx's. I'll get those right after I build a stack of Lab subs.:D Robert.

Comment

What, the HL14-50's an ear bleed device? Surprise, surprise :rolleyes:.

Comment

What, the HL14-50's an ear bleed device? Surprise, surprise :rolleyes:.
                    I've taken it upon myself to keep you pro's laughing at my mistakes. I'll learn one of these days to save for the propers components.

Comment

Working...
                    X