Looking for a bridgeable amp. Approx 300 watts x 1 into 8 ohms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a bridgeable amp. Approx 300 watts x 1 into 8 ohms

Hi, I'm not too familiar with pro sound equipment but I'm thinking a bridged pro amp would fit my need for the most practical way to get 300 watts into a single 8 ohm load. Hoping there might be something on eBay but I don't know what to search for.

This is for a home project and I realize there are plate amps out there that would work but I'd be wasting half of an approx 500 watt spec amp since they are intended for 4 ohm loads.

I'm looking to hopefully save a few $$ and get an amp in a package that is better suited for my design.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Looking for a bridgeable amp. Approx 300 watts x 1 into 8 ohms

Most pro sound gear is also designed to run low impedance loads.

Comment

Yeah, I understand that but I would prefer the "package" a pro amp comes in and I'd like to pick up something used. I figure 300 watts bridged 8 ohms would only be about a 100 x 2 into 8 ohms stereo amp, give or take. I'm thinking there has to be some decent quality amps meeting that spec that were made sometime in the past. 100 x 2 aint ish by today's standards and the pro guys tend to avoid old gear because it weighs so much. Hence they might be an economical choice.

My reference to 4 ohm plate maps was more intended to show that I was aware of that option but would prefer something other than.
      Thanks,
      Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by aarond View Post
        but I'd be wasting half of an approx 500 watt spec amp since they are intended for 4 ohm loads.
        This is actually what I would do. Headroom is a beautiful thing.....
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Just stay with a good brand if you are going used, like QSC, Crown, and alike. I would avoid Pyle, and it's kind. Brands like Behringer might be OK new, but I wouldn't trust them used. Be careful of the ratings, prosound stuff gets just as distorted as car audio, and look at the impedance it's rated at, sometimes they rate it at 2ohms. Best bet is if you find something, look up the manual online to see what it is really rated at. Lastly, if this is for home use, as it sounds, I would look for something withOUT a fan. They can get very loud in a quite environment.

Also, know your prices for new, right now here at PE you can get a QSC or Crown new for 299, and Behringer for about $250. (I think they are OK new, if you take care of them)

Comment

This is the type of thing you want... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/QSC-Model-120...item3a7520d57a, though if you can find an old Yamaha Pro amp you won't have fans to worry about and something like an Art SLA-1 is only 1U high.
            Paul O

Comment

I have a Peavey GPS900 listed for sale in the classifieds. How much are you looking to spend?
              http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...s/80304679.pdf

Perhaps a bit bigger than you intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
                This is the type of thing you want... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/QSC-Model-120...item3a7520d57a, though if you can find an old Yamaha Pro amp you won't have fans to worry about and something like an Art SLA-1 is only 1U high.
                This looks like a good unit, but also exemplifies the problems with ebay. At $100 it's not a bad deal, but then you add in another $100 for shipping and it's not so good a deal. These things are heavy, and shipping will not be cheap.

Pawn shops and Craigs list are your best bets, or look for local deals on Ebay.

Comment

That QSC does look like a good choice. No fan which I don't want for the reasons mentioned above. Price is in line with what I had in mind... eBay history shows that I should be able to pick one up for approx. $100 shipped if I'm patient. QSC is a brand that I have as much faith in as I could hope for from any older amplifier. Little bigger than I wanted but this project is already a little on the large side. Now I just need to set up my search notice on eBay and wait.

Before the eBay became the standard I used to frequent pawn shops, now I just visit them often enough to relize that I was better off staying home and searching the net. I do Craigslist but I probably want something more specific than I could reliably find... and I'm currently deployed.
                  Thanks,
                  Aaron

Comment

Working...
                  X