Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

a loud guitar cab?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a loud guitar cab?

I was talking to my brother today and he was complaining about haw his head starts to sound bad when it is pushed hard because it switches from tube to some sort of digital output. He said it sounds good at loud volumes but when he really has to push it he doesn't like it ( he plays a lot of metal in crappy clubs but also plays blues). I forgot the brand of his current cab. I think it was crank or something like that and of course it was a 4x12.
    So what I was thinking was build him a very high sensitivity cab and if he doesn't like it i'll use it ;) So I am wondering what you would do? Maybe a horn design? And what drivers would be good? Obviously price would need to be around the price of a normal 4x12 or lower.

Re: a loud guitar cab?

Originally posted by killa View Post
    I was talking to my brother today and he was complaining about haw his head starts to sound bad when it is pushed hard because it switches from tube to some sort of digital output. He said it sounds good at loud volumes but when he really has to push it he doesn't like it ( he plays a lot of metal in crappy clubs but also plays blues). I forgot the brand of his current cab. I think it was crank or something like that and of course it was a 4x12.
    So what I was thinking was build him a very high sensitivity cab and if he doesn't like it i'll use it ;) So I am wondering what you would do? Maybe a horn design? And what drivers would be good? Obviously price would need to be around the price of a normal 4x12 or lower.
    Never see horn guitar cabs but a full stack of 8x12"s would deliver the +135db deafening stage volume that metalheads believe is necessary for "good" sound. Hope everyone uses ear protection.

Comment

The problem isn't the speakers it's the guitar amp(head), get one that is pure tube and he'll be happy.
      Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
        Never see horn guitar cabs but a full stack of 8x12"s would deliver the +135db deafening stage volume that metalheads believe is necessary for "good" sound. Hope everyone uses ear protection.
        I don't think he believes it is necassary but he has to keep up with the others that do :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
          The problem isn't the speakers it's the guitar amp(head), get one that is pure tube and he'll be happy.
          True but it would still be cool to make a high sensitivity cab for lower powered amps and of course to ocassionaly show off :D

Comment

True but it would still be cool to make a high sensitivity cab for lower powered amps and of course to ocassionaly show off :D
            That goes completely against the grain for guitar cabs, which rely on pushing the drivers into compression to get their tone.
            head starts to sound bad when it is pushed hard because it switches from tube to some sort of digital output.
            Say what?
            +1.
            a full stack of 8x12"s would deliver the +135db deafening stage volume that metalheads believe is necessary for "good" sound.
            No one needs more than a 2x12 for all the stage volume one can need, ask anyone who owns or has been even in the same room with a Vox AC30. As for the huge stacks seen used by metal acts, they're eye candy for the kiddies. Most of the cabs aren't even plugged in, and in some cases it wouldn't matter if they were:

www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              Say what?
              I don't know for sure what he was trying to tell me but it sounded like it switches to some sort of digital stage somwhere once you push it to a certain point. Sounds odd to me too. He more than likely could just be clipping the amp. It is rated at 100w but we all know that means absolutely nothing. I believe it was a peavey.

Comment

Found his head http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/specs.html . "Class AB tube amp with two 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6 power tubes". Can a tube amp be class AB

Comment

Can a tube amp be class AB
                  Yes
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

So what two 12s would you pick if you were building a cab and why? Also I had a interesting (someone has probably done it already) idea. If you were to seperate the two drivers then you could just run one for smaller venues and you could drive the speaker harder to get the same kind of sound you would get driving both in a large venue.

Comment

Also I had a interesting (someone has probably done it already) idea. If you were to seperate the two drivers then you could just run one for smaller venues and you could drive the speaker harder to get the same kind of sound you would get driving both in a large venue.
                      Yes that approach is possible commercially - there are numerous single 12" cabs that have a parallel out jack for a 2nd cab.
                      The choice of driver is one of those areas that guitar players can obsess over. Guitar drivers are sold by virtue of the tone they produce.
                      For instance the Eminence web site has examples of the tonal differences of the numerous drivers they offer which include ( for one example ) a classic Celestion sound.
                      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

So what two 12s would you pick if you were building a cab and why? Also I had a interesting (someone has probably done it already) idea. If you were to seperate the two drivers then you could just run one for smaller venues and you could drive the speaker harder to get the same kind of sound you would get driving both in a large venue.
                        Please go to the eminence web site, not only can you see the huge assortment of drivers that are available, but can hear them through different applications, and know exactly what they sound like. There is NO BEST GUITAR DRIVER! everyone will have their preference, and they all seem too have their appeal. They used to make one called the cannibus rex (hemp cone) and I liked it alot.

If you truly want a loud cab (but as Bill said it goes against the guitar paradigm) maybe Bill could tell you/us which ones might work in his Jack or Jack lite (2X12) cabs. It is most definitely 'off-label' use, but it could be very impressive. Any ideas which, if any, might work there BFM?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          If you truly want a loud cab (but as Bill said it goes against the guitar paradigm) maybe Bill could tell you/us which ones might work in his Jack or Jack lite (2X12) cabs.
                          None, they are not guitar cabs.
                          Found his head http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/specs.html . "Class AB tube amp with two 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6 power tubes".
                          Nothing in that amp is 'digital' with respect to the power amp. If he doesn't like how it sounds he should try other 100w guitar amps, there's plenty of them out there.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com
                          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            Please go to the eminence web site, not only can you see the huge assortment of drivers that are available, but can hear them through different applications, and know exactly what they sound like.
                            Will do. I didn't know you could listen to them online. I know it all comes down to preference. I was just curious to hear others opinions on drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                              If he doesn't like how it sounds he should try other 100w guitar amps, there's plenty of them out there.
                              I agree but I still want to build a cab:D

Comment

Working...
                              X