• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyjakubin
    replied
    Re: a loud guitar cab?

Originally posted by killa View Post
    I agree but I still want to build a cab:D
    This is a real fun place for guitar drivers.

http://wgs4.com/all-products

I bought 2 Veteren30's to replace 2 Celestion Vintage30's.

http://celestion.com/product/1/vintage_30/

I didn't think WGS would pull it off as the Celestion's are premo drivers in Marshall cabs but it did.
    They played louder and cleaner off of 45 amp tube amps...
    I noticed a lot of players mixing drivers for a particular sound like the Reaper and Retro etc.

Have fun. I do...

Leave a comment:

• AMC
    replied

Found his head http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/specs.html . "Class AB tube amp with two 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6 power tubes". Can a tube amp be class AB
    I am not a tube amp guy, but could it be a bad tube or two causing the problem?

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    If he doesn't like how it sounds he should try other 100w guitar amps, there's plenty of them out there.
    I agree but I still want to build a cab:D

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Please go to the eminence web site, not only can you see the huge assortment of drivers that are available, but can hear them through different applications, and know exactly what they sound like.
    Will do. I didn't know you could listen to them online. I know it all comes down to preference. I was just curious to hear others opinions on drivers.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    If you truly want a loud cab (but as Bill said it goes against the guitar paradigm) maybe Bill could tell you/us which ones might work in his Jack or Jack lite (2X12) cabs.
    None, they are not guitar cabs.
    Found his head http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/specs.html . "Class AB tube amp with two 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6 power tubes".
    Nothing in that amp is 'digital' with respect to the power amp. If he doesn't like how it sounds he should try other 100w guitar amps, there's plenty of them out there.

Leave a comment:

• AMC
    replied

So what two 12s would you pick if you were building a cab and why? Also I had a interesting (someone has probably done it already) idea. If you were to seperate the two drivers then you could just run one for smaller venues and you could drive the speaker harder to get the same kind of sound you would get driving both in a large venue.
    Please go to the eminence web site, not only can you see the huge assortment of drivers that are available, but can hear them through different applications, and know exactly what they sound like. There is NO BEST GUITAR DRIVER! everyone will have their preference, and they all seem too have their appeal. They used to make one called the cannibus rex (hemp cone) and I liked it alot.

If you truly want a loud cab (but as Bill said it goes against the guitar paradigm) maybe Bill could tell you/us which ones might work in his Jack or Jack lite (2X12) cabs. It is most definitely 'off-label' use, but it could be very impressive. Any ideas which, if any, might work there BFM?

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Also I had a interesting (someone has probably done it already) idea. If you were to seperate the two drivers then you could just run one for smaller venues and you could drive the speaker harder to get the same kind of sound you would get driving both in a large venue.
    Yes that approach is possible commercially - there are numerous single 12" cabs that have a parallel out jack for a 2nd cab.
    The choice of driver is one of those areas that guitar players can obsess over. Guitar drivers are sold by virtue of the tone they produce.
    For instance the Eminence web site has examples of the tonal differences of the numerous drivers they offer which include ( for one example ) a classic Celestion sound.

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

So what two 12s would you pick if you were building a cab and why? Also I had a interesting (someone has probably done it already) idea. If you were to seperate the two drivers then you could just run one for smaller venues and you could drive the speaker harder to get the same kind of sound you would get driving both in a large venue.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Can a tube amp be class AB
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Found his head http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/specs.html . "Class AB tube amp with two 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6 power tubes". Can a tube amp be class AB

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    Say what?
    I don't know for sure what he was trying to tell me but it sounded like it switches to some sort of digital stage somwhere once you push it to a certain point. Sounds odd to me too. He more than likely could just be clipping the amp. It is rated at 100w but we all know that means absolutely nothing. I believe it was a peavey.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied

True but it would still be cool to make a high sensitivity cab for lower powered amps and of course to ocassionaly show off :D
    That goes completely against the grain for guitar cabs, which rely on pushing the drivers into compression to get their tone.
    head starts to sound bad when it is pushed hard because it switches from tube to some sort of digital output.
    Say what?
    The problem isn't the speakers it's the guitar amp(head), get one that is pure tube and he'll be happy.
    +1.
    a full stack of 8x12"s would deliver the +135db deafening stage volume that metalheads believe is necessary for "good" sound.
    No one needs more than a 2x12 for all the stage volume one can need, ask anyone who owns or has been even in the same room with a Vox AC30. As for the huge stacks seen used by metal acts, they're eye candy for the kiddies. Most of the cabs aren't even plugged in, and in some cases it wouldn't matter if they were:

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
    The problem isn't the speakers it's the guitar amp(head), get one that is pure tube and he'll be happy.
    True but it would still be cool to make a high sensitivity cab for lower powered amps and of course to ocassionaly show off :D

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by jont View Post
    Never see horn guitar cabs but a full stack of 8x12"s would deliver the +135db deafening stage volume that metalheads believe is necessary for "good" sound. Hope everyone uses ear protection.
    I don't think he believes it is necassary but he has to keep up with the others that do :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Paul O
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X