Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

hobbie building speakers need schematic please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobbie building speakers need schematic please

I want to build an old school pair of loud speaker stacks.
    A set of bass bins with 15" woofer/sub in each
    A set of smaller bins with 12" woofers in each (to stack on top of the bass bins)
    A third cab with a horn and driver stacked on top of the previous 2
    Finally a cab with 4 piezo type tweeters.
    I will be using 2 crown 900 watt power amps for left and right channels.
    I am needing help with a schematic for novices that shows how to wire the cabinets with a crossover network please.

Re: hobbie building speakers need schematic please

Personally I would scrap those plans and go with some omnitops (Fullrange)+ titans (low end). You have to buy the plans but in the end you will have imo alot better setup than the one you mentioned.

my .02

Comment

0.) define your requirements, re-evaluate your plans. The what always needs to come before the how.
      1.) a 4-way pa build absolutely requires a good ACTIVE crossover.
      2.) for pa, shoot for 3-way, not 4. Buy a couple solid comp drivers and lose the piezos. Less $ and hassle.
      3.) for the great outdoors, a system with any less than double the volume in subs as in tops is about as useful as a pitcher of warm spit.
      4.) If you're looking for proven plans, try BFM, and, most importantly, just do exactly as he suggests. Results virtually guaranteed.
      5.) stereo? For PA, no.

Comment

That would most definitely be old school. Problem is, technology has passed it by. Back in the day, you might use that many drivers, mostly because you would have had trouble finding drivers to cover large widths of the audio spectrum. Today, that would fall near the absurd category. So unless you are attempting to make a museum piece for nostalgia sake, I would re-think it. Full range pro sound should not require more then a 3 way system for this kind of project.

Comment

When you are finished....

Post some pictures here!

The (build your subs) but (buy your tops) theme is what I would stick with unless you have unlimited time and budget.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            That would most definitely be old school. Problem is, technology has passed it by. Back in the day, you might use that many drivers, mostly because you would have had trouble finding drivers to cover large widths of the audio spectrum. Today, that would fall near the absurd category. So unless you are attempting to make a museum piece for nostalgia sake, I would re-think it. Full range pro sound should not require more then a 3 way system for this kind of project.
            +1. In addition, there's this:
            A set of bass bins with 15" woofer/sub in each
            A set of smaller bins with 12" woofers in each (to stack on top of the bass bins)
            That's OK if the stacks are separated by at least 50 odd feet, but otherwise not so much. This explains why:
            http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/i...e_power_alley/

Yes, you see tops above subs all the time. But that's only because their owners aren't aware that you should not do so. 'Because we've always done it that way' and 'because that's how everyone does it' are not valid engineering concepts.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
            X