X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• killa
    replied
    Re: Best way to highpass bass cab?

Well I picked up a psa 1.1 preamp and am hoping it can pull double duty as a bass/electric guitar pre. But I already have a power amp with a highpass selector on the back so that kills a few birds :applause: I also happen to have some other neat equipment to play with. A active xo and a Eventide Harmonizer. The eventide is a neat studio effects processor but I plan on using it to make cool noises live :D My ampeg b2r might be in the classifieds soon. Never have cared for the sound much.

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    1st order will almost always be insufficient. You want 'full' output above a set point, for a bass, that is generally about 40Hz, but you need it almost gone by 30Hz. A first order that starts at 40, will only be slightly attenuated at 30Hz. If set to be even 12db down at 30Hz, it will start rolling off at over 100Hz. Most active high pass (subsonic) filter are 4th order and above.
    Yes that's true- should have checked what forum I was in. For HOME use, if a first order is insufficient, you should get more woofer. In pro settings where you have to run to the edge of output limits, a steeper filter is warranted.

Leave a comment:

• AMC
    replied

Originally posted by badman View Post
    This wil only be 1st order, but if that's insufficient then you probably have too little woofer
    1st order will almost always be insufficient. You want 'full' output above a set point, for a bass, that is generally about 40Hz, but you need it almost gone by 30Hz. A first order that starts at 40, will only be slightly attenuated at 30Hz. If set to be even 12db down at 30Hz, it will start rolling off at over 100Hz. Most active high pass (subsonic) filter are 4th order and above.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

yeah I was going to say passive line level

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied

gentlemen, gentlemen, the easy way is to stick a small, say .1uF, capacitor on the input.

Problem solved, though the cap value will depend upon the input impedance. This wil only be 1st order, but if that's insufficient then you probably have too little woofer

Leave a comment:

• mdocod
    replied

This may be out on a limb, but for some situations, an FMOD filter might be worthwhile. PE sells em in the car audio department. My only problem with this approach, is it seems like a lot to pay for a 12dB/octave high-pass active, when much steeper and more specific slopes could be had for $100-200.

Leave a comment:

• AMC
    replied

Originally posted by killa View Post
    If you don't have a highpass filter on your bass amp what would be the best way to do this? Obviously a filter for 30 to 40hz would be pricey if done passively.
    I put a bank (it takes several) of capacitors in mine, to give a 1st order high pass. This in NO WAY will do what a good active will do, it's just a little back up protection you can use along with other means. Using mostly cheap caps it's only a few bucks. It's when you start going to higher orders that it gets pricey. This way it always there, and can not be accidentally defeated.

Leave a comment:

• jont
    replied

Mini DSP can do that and much more.
    Many EQs will have a highpass filter but the slope may not be high enough if you push your rig to the limits.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied

Originally posted by killa View Post
    If you don't have a highpass filter on your bass amp what would be the best way to do this? Obviously a filter for 30 to 40hz would be pricey if done passively.
    Use an active high pass in the effects loop. But most bass amps are high passed anyway.

Leave a comment:

• killa
    started a topic Best way to highpass bass cab?

Best way to highpass bass cab?

Working...
X