Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: System help for a wedding reception

Originally posted by uroford1 View Post
    Very good tutorial especially Part 2. Just a question, can you apply delay for every phase shift even if it occurs in a small frequency band or do you sum all the delays for shifts that occur in the band between crossover frequencies? Or did I miss the gist of those tutorials entirely?

Thanks,

-Steve
    https://bobmccarthy.wordpress.com/20...ulse-response/
    Not sure I understand your questions; however in this context it is a matter of an adjustment to compensate for the fact that the mains and subs are physically separated.
    Consider that the affected frequency range is a fairly narrow ( approx +/- 1/2 octave around 100hz ).
    This falls under the category of fine tuning.

I got a chuckle from Jeff's reply:
    In reality most of my issues with wedding receptions I've attended was not attributed to phase/delay settings.
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Well they said just let it run start to finish, I've got a locking front on the rack so I'm hoping to just start it up and control the volume wirelessly with my phone. "What could go wrong?":eek:

Comment

haha
        Got a compressor?
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Do I need one with just recorded music, nothing live, no dropped mics? I'll look at the playlist but I don't see these people having a bunch of synth music.

Comment

It ( a compressor ) can help keep the level sustained ( pre normalization of source material wouldn't be needed ).
            Also IF a mic is involved it can prevent related mishaps.

Comment

OK, something to think on.

Comment

Fortunately you are taking things like this into consideration:
                I was going to set up behind a curtain on the forward side of the dance floor at the corners to concentrate the sound level on the dance floor so that the people sitting at tables could converse a little easier. I know that corner placement would better energize the room and afford a better overall sound but then it would also be blasting into the back of the bartenders head.
                Other mistakes I've seen is creating slap echo by reflection.
                And personally I'd avoid the Spl level being too loud as usually happen as the event proceeds and senses dull.

Comment

If you use a sub under each main and both of these stacks are within 10ft or so of each other then little or no delay will be needed between sub and main. If the sub or subs are center clustered then you can't really delay anything because setting it to be correct for 1 main will make it very wrong for the other.
                  You may need a little delay between the CD and 12" however and if so a similar amount will be needed for the subs, so if you have the tools by all means have a look.
                  Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by jefffluker View Post
                    I'd worry less about the sound and more about this "iTunes playlist."
                    This. I'd strongly advise getting your and on that "playlist" beforehand to see what it's like. Compression can fix some issues, but not all. Plus it gives you the opportunity to put them together in a proper mix, if you're so inclined.
                    Brian Steele
                    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

The bride is very organized and has it broke into "dinner music" and "dance music" playlists. I just have to switch from one to another and adjust the volume, she's got them in the order she wants. I'll have their actual laptop in a few days and plan to let it run through on the weekend when I'm around the house working. Maybe have a decibel meter handy.

Comment

a friend’s wedding reception
                        What can happen in this situation: The friend spends time gain-riding and misses the party.
                        ( that's part of the reasons why I've turned down similar gigs )
                        Watch out for bad mic technique; like walking in front of the speakers.
                        Good luck

Comment

My wife has already expressed the concern that I'll be "playing with the sound" all night. No mics so no worries there. I've found an option in iTunes called sound check that is supposed to normalize the output of the tracks, I'll test it this weekend.

Comment

I've used SoundSolution (2-band AGC, 5-band compressor + limiter) for similar gigs (http://www.xdevel.com/en/sound-solution-xap/) - back in the pre-iPod days. It takes a bit of tweaking to set up, but levels things out nicely once dialed in. Good luck with your gig.

Comment

It's all done in software? If so, do you need a real good soundcard to run it?
                              Originally posted by KevinN View Post
                              I've used SoundSolution (2-band AGC, 5-band compressor + limiter) for similar gigs (http://www.xdevel.com/en/sound-solution-xap/) - back in the pre-iPod days. It takes a bit of tweaking to set up, but levels things out nicely once dialed in. Good luck with your gig.

Comment

Working...
                              X