No announcement yet.

Kapplite 3015LF Vented Cabinet Assistance Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a little larger outdoor show last weekend and the new setup was a success. I would estimate a couple thousand people spread over a very wide horizontal area. I took the system up to the limit that the tops wanted to handle take and the low end was full all the way back to the cheap seats. Nothing but compliments like "That sounded fantastic for some guys just standing on a flat bed!". I am going to presume he meant the PA, not the band... because we blow at playing.

I am going to build two more of Bill's SLA tops for situations like this where we need better horizontal coverage and to add a few db to keep up with the subs.

All in all I am very happy with the setup considering everything is a one man carry and the whole setup (lights, PA, drums) all fit in a 5x8 trailer. The loudest we will ever need to get would be a small town street dance or family event like shown here and this definitely looks like it will do the trick.
    Last edited by DDG; 09-01-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Sadly, I was at Mall of America when this show was happening - or I would have been there.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Well done, sir.

Comment

Off topic but one problem I have been running in to when pushing the new system hard is the inuke 3000 I have on the tops might be having issues.

I couldn''t totally tell from on stage outdoors, but it seems like the tops will drop dramatically in db when there are a lot of drums, guitar and vocals going on at high volume. All types of songs sound fine when running at lower volumes but when pushing everything full bore like last week, something weird is going on. It seems like when only vocals and limited drums are going on during a ballad, everything sounds perfect. Then, if a heavy guitar song with a lot of drums kick in everything on the tops drops ways down in volume and seem to fade in and out.

Johnny, the same thing happened at the reunion when we were sound checking but the problem stopped when we turned everything down at the show.

I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet but I don't think the nu3000 is up to the task on the tops unless the power source is perfect. I initially bought it just to make the rack as light as possible but I think I am going to put my qsc gx5 back in the rack and see what happens. It's only 20 pounds or so heavier and sounds better, and I guess if it happens with the qsc I'll know I have a problem elsewhere.

On a positive note, the nu6000 dsp seems to be the deal of the century on the subs.

Comment

Hard to imagine it running out of overhead, but is possible.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by DDG View Post
              ... Then, if a heavy guitar song with a lot of drums kick in everything on the tops drops ways down in volume and seem to fade in and out.....
              Offhand ( without the benefit of being there ) it sounds like 'protection' is kicking in - limiting the current.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I couldn''t totally tell from on stage outdoors, but it seems like the tops will drop dramatically in db when there are a lot of drums, guitar and vocals going on at high volume.
                What impedance are you running that NU3000 at? 2, 4 or 8 ohms per channel?

Brian Steele
                www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

What impedance are you running that NU3000 at? 2, 4 or 8 ohms per channel?
                  8 ohm per side.

Comment

8 ohm per side.
                    ​Interesting. I remember seeing a bench test for the NU3000 that suggested that it could do just under 300W continuous into 8 ohms per channel. At lower impedances it would drop the power output a bit after a few seconds.
                    Last edited by Brian Steele; 09-18-2016, 09:32 AM.
                    Brian Steele
                    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Well at a show now and the nu6000 won't stay on for more than a couple seconds without going in to protect and shutting off. I tried multiple power sources and no go. Hey bargain, it lasted a whole 4 shows. I guess the inukes are too good to be true. Good thing I have the old amps in the trailer to limp by.

Comment

Working...
                      X