Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff B and Seth Lightning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jeff B and Seth Lightning

    I had the good fortune to work with Jeff Bagby again on a project that we showed together at InDIYana. Our first project together was the SpiritWind from InDIYana 2015. Jeff kept that pair. This time, I get to keep the pair.

    We agreed on some top notch drivers. As luck would have it, Meniscus Audio is basically in my backyard (well, they are at least on my way home from work), so Mark ordered me the scan speak illuminator 18wu midbass drivers and the scan speak illuminator 6620 tweeters. I had not used either driver before, but knowing Jeff's work, I was confident he could make them sound good.

    The cabinets ended up netting 3/4 cubic feet. They are constructed of 1" MDF, with mitered corners and a five degree tilt. The front baffles are 2" thick. Jeff landed on a true acoustic 2nd order crossover, and I found out after the cabinets were built that the 5 degree tilt almost perfectly time aligned the drivers.

    For the longest time, I had wanted to try birds eye maple with a gray or silver dye. Turns out that gray wood dye is almost impossible to find. I had considered trying some black transtint. It got me close enough to what I had in my head. With the lighting at InDIYana, the speakers appeared very bland and almost purple. Some of the photos below illustrate the true color a little better. (Plus 4thtry took some really cool photos that I'm hoping he might post)

    A little about the finishing process... I wrapped the speakers in birds eye maple and then applied a black dye. Once it was dry, I sanded the cabinets down (a process called sand back). Any of the hard spots in the wood allowed the dye to sand right off. The soft spots soaked it in and didn't sand off as well. I then followed up with a second coat of dye. Once that was dry, I applied two coats of a lacquer sealer, followed by three coats of precatalyzed lacquer.

    About the name.. I'm not a speaker naming expert. In fact, I don't think I've ever named a speaker before. I struggled to name these. My 5 year old son decided to call them "Lightning" and it just kind of stuck. I can't disappoint him now by changing the name!

    I'm very happy with the sound they produce. They really are top notch drivers and Jeff was able to pull off the crossover with six parts. This allowed me to spend a little more on crossover parts than I normally would. I went with Mundorf supreme caps on the tweeter and clarity cap ESA caps on the woofer. These are some of the most enjoyable speakers I've had the opportunity to own.

    Brow are some pics of the build process:

























  • #2
    Beautiful!

    Comment


    • #3
      Gorgeous!

      Comment


      • #4
        That is awesome, I wish I could hear them. Congratulations on the work you did!

        the 2" baffle and 1" construction is to make the cabinet more inert correct?

        Did you take two 1" baffles, applied a lot of glue and hold them together with clamps to make a 2" baffle?

        Comment


        • #5
          Beautiful! Once I again I am humbled!
          Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

          If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

          Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi there,

            Well, quiet a solid build!

            And if I may; I have a couple of questions about this build ....

            1) It seems the driver chassis are mounted by wood screws? Image 1.
            2) What is the method of holding thes securely together - Nails & Glue ? Image 2.
            3) Personally I would have had the same chamver at the bottom as well - Why Not ?

            thanks in advance rgs UpperCut

            Comment


            • #7
              I was lucky enough to hear these today and, sorry if I didn't get a chance to mention this Seth, but they were amazing. I mean really, truly amazing. I had heard one of the Illuminator midbasses before and thought that it didn't quite justify the cost over the similar sized Revelator. I don't think that anymore. And of course the woodwork and finish was top notch as always.

              Nice work Seth and Jeff.

              Dan
              _____________________________
              Tall Boys
              NRNP Computer Sub
              The Boxers
              The Hurricanes
              The Baronettes
              Conneccentric
              UX3

              Comment


              • #8
                Work of Art, dude!

                I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                Tangband W6-sub

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow... Stunning! Congratulations on these amazing speakers. I'd love to hear them someday.
                  ~Marty

                  Baby Eidolons
                  Sapphos
                  Cables (Post #54)
                  Other speakers (Post #21)
                  Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                  Boundary Augmentation
                  Dispersion/Interference

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great build! I really like the veneer choice as well.
                    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by UpperCut View Post
                      Hi there,

                      Well, quiet a solid build!

                      And if I may; I have a couple of questions about this build ....

                      1) It seems the driver chassis are mounted by wood screws? Image 1.
                      2) What is the method of holding thes securely together - Nails & Glue ? Image 2.
                      3) Personally I would have had the same chamver at the bottom as well - Why Not ?

                      thanks in advance rgs UpperCut
                      Yes, the drivers are mounted by wood screws to the MDF.

                      The cabinets are built with wood glue only. That is plenty strong enough for cabinets if your joints are proper.

                      I much prefer the look of no rounded chamfer on the bottom. I have done it that way before, but with smaller cabinets. With these larger cabinets, and the fact that they slant back five degrees, it feels more appropriate the way I did it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DanP View Post
                        I was lucky enough to hear these today and, sorry if I didn't get a chance to mention this Seth, but they were amazing. I mean really, truly amazing. I had heard one of the Illuminator midbasses before and thought that it didn't quite justify the cost over the similar sized Revelator. I don't think that anymore. And of course the woodwork and finish was top notch as always.

                        Nice work Seth and Jeff.

                        Dan
                        I'm glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for the compliments.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Your knack for transforming wood into art is amazing, Seth!

                          .
                          Ed Henderson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DearSX View Post

                            the 2" baffle and 1" construction is to make the cabinet more inert correct?

                            Did you take two 1" baffles, applied a lot of glue and hold them together with clamps to make a 2" baffle?
                            Yes, the 2" baffle and 1" construction is meant to make the cabinet as rigid as possible. Regarding the 2" baffles, I apply a layer of glue to each face, put them together and then seal them up in my vacuum bag. I've found that to be the simplest way to construct them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by s7horton View Post

                              Yes, the 2" baffle and 1" construction is meant to make the cabinet as rigid as possible. Regarding the 2" baffles, I apply a layer of glue to each face, put them together and then seal them up in my vacuum bag. I've found that to be the simplest way to construct them.
                              Wow, a vacuum bag? is it a special industrial vacuum bag?

                              Thanks for the response.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X