Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1285198 Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1285199
    Just a couple more quick finished pics. Don't mind the smudges..

Comment

One thing I should mention is that I know back in the day the Founteks had a run of tweeters with reversed polarity, these were purchased around a year ago and the polarity was correct as marked, so corresponding with others more recent findings that if you buy neo1.0s now you no longer have to worry about it.

Comment

Cool Project. Really like the PVC solution for the rear of the cab. Would imagine ripping it could be a little nerve racking. Did you clamp something to the PVC to it to keep it from rotating during the cut?

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
        The Archers
        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
        The Gandalf's

Comment

Thanks, actually the pvc wasn't bad to rip. I was a little worried about how it would go. I just drew a line lengthwise down the pipe by laying it down and laying a 2x2 along it as a guide for my sharpie. The table saw I used had a fence that was short which worked good because then I just pushed the pipe along the fence keeping the line lined up with the top edge of the fence. Then I put the pipe on one of the top or bottom pieces and determined how far around the arc to cut the other side of the piece, lined that mark with the blade and made a new line with the marker using the fence as a straightedge and the just kept it lined up with the fence when I went. Hopefully that makes sense. It wasn't that bad I just probably can't describe it well.

One thing I found after ruining my first attempt is that as you get twoard the end of the cut it starts to pinch hard and causes your piece to narrow at the end from grinding on the side of the blade. I just ended up sticking a piece of scrap wood in each end to keep it from pinching. It isn't a perfect cut but definitely close enough to fill with joint compound or bondo.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
            Nice! Not to disagree with the Mrs.'s, the original baffles looked pretty good also. Looking forward to the build pics.
            That vvivid vinyl is pretty nice. It didn't stick real hard to the wood like I'm sure it would to something non-porous so I'm thinking that if I ever wanted to go back to the wood it would probably release without leaving a bunch of gunk. The possibility of going back to the wood was part of the reason I opted for a sticker finish instead of paint. Oh and it was way easier too..

Comment

Everything you said about the cut makes sense. Did you use a special blade on the table saw or was it just a standard ripping blade? Not trying to derail your thread, but this part of your build has my interest peaked. I had a project in mind some time back that used a piece of PVC like this but couldn't get up the nerve to try the cut on the tablesaw. After seeing what you have done, might go back and pursue it further. Thanks.
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              The Archers
              The Gandalf's

Comment

No worries at all, glad to talk about it. I just used a plain Jane harbor freight ripping blade because that is what was in there, but I wonder if a finer tooth count would be better. It worked fine though for me.

Comment

Appreciate your insight and explanations. I'm thinking a 60 tooth ripping blade might cut it pretty smooth and may be less likely to try to jerk it during the cuts. After MWAF, I might play around with this some. Thanks Dynamo.
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

No problem at all; Look forward to seeing how it works out for you.

Comment

Good job man! You pulled off a really nice enclosure with the facets and curved sides. As for cutting PVC pipe lengthwise, your spot on with it wanting to spring back together and pinch the blade, been there, done that! Like you said with a little planning ahead it'll be fine.
                      A mains
                      The Ventures
                      Open Invit8tions
                      RSR
                      Sound Troopers
                      Acorns
                      DGBG's
                      The Monuments

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, definitely appreciate it! My enclosures are usually ok looking from listening distance but I don't have the fine finishing skills like a lot of the guys here to make them perfect up close. The facets and curved enclosure were both new things for me and there were plenty of learning moments for me. It really surprised me that it pinched like that, didn't expect that at all.

Comment

Looks Good! I agree with you on the fresh cuts, they even smell good sometimes

Comment

Having built some curvy cabs, I know what a real pain they can be to construct. Your idea of using the PVC pipe for the back cap is a really ingenious move. Got to file that one for future use!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments

Comment

Bought some vivid vinyl based on your experience, will see how it goes. Did you seal the wood before putting on the vinyl? Would a few coats of sanding sealer work better on the wood for the vinyl?

Comment

Working...
                                X