The Bantams Micro Speaker System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

I added an impedance graph above. Thanks for the kind words... you know a thing or two about micro speakers for sure. The tweeter impedance seems okay to me. I've played them on several amps at the loudest volumes they could do with various material and no issues.

I realize I don't always do the normal stuff crossover-wise... Yeah, I'm no crossover guru -- but I did work this out pretty well I think. I've gone through quite a few simulations and probably 4 or 5 'start overs' for a 'mental refresh', and this is what looked like it worked the best in my opinion. I have never worked with an AMT tweeter before either so that's uncharted territory for me, but I did put my time in on this design, probably 20+ hours on the crossover alone which is about all a guy of my mental constitution can stand!

Anyway, I thought you'd appreciate my efforts to squeeeze everything in there. I laughed when I removed the passive radiator disc after jig-sawing it and saw the two 'wings' where I actually cut into the box sides... that's tight!

Gracias sir!

Thanks a lot. I figure with such small speakers, I should take the time for some decently applied veneer. I want to make another pair soon and I'm thinking of going with small curved cabinets and a slightly deeper profile. Maybe I'll go with a hardwood baffle and really fancy veneer for those.

In hopeful anticipation I worked my way through 4 or 5 different projects over the summer in case I was fortunate enough to be selected.

Didn't you get the email? The first set had to be uploaded by October.... J/K
    I had spent some time in the summer working on a few projects ahead of time, that helped me get a jump on things for sure. I kind of see this as a big honor and an even bigger responsibility, so I'm getting after it as best I can.

I hope you do, I'd love to see some pics when it happens. They are just plain surprising sound-quality and volume wise. Turn 'em up, and they just get louder instead of sounding gritty. The only negative is that they cost a few bucks. If you compare them with the cost of a set of overnight sensations, you can really see the difference... but then again, the ONS are discounted as they are a kit, and the Bantams are HALF the size and still play pretty stinking loud with real bass output.

TomZ
    I have some left over paper backed Bubinga from "The Fists". Should be more than enough for another set or two of these. Is your if you want it. Just shoot me a PM with your address. If not, no biggie. I hate seeing it sit...And its pretty "fancy". I have no small builds in my future and I am tired of hording.

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
      Well done Tom! Are we supposed to have started already?? ;)

Marty
      Sheesh Marty, ya' waiting for Christmas or something? ;)

I am started and well in-route...But still have a way to go.

Threading the needle between it, and my daughters speakers I have to have ready by christmas!

Comment

Nice build Tom. Will these be part of your design team "quota"?

Awaiting the matching sub ...

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post

I am started and well in-route...But still have a way to go.

Threading the needle between it, and my daughters speakers I have to have ready by christmas!
          Cheese takes time to mature!
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Sorry for the late response Tom, I didn't check the Speaker Project Gallery last night. These look Fantastic!

Really like your mounting solution for the tweets! And I never would have thought of mounting the crossover components to the PR, an excellent idea for such a tiny package. Your write-up is thorough and very easy to follow and these should be a hit. Congrats on completing your first Design Team project!
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
            The Archers
            Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
            The Gandalf's

Comment

Santa said something about a new Rigid Table saw. Actually the Table saw fund is about $80 away from fully funded. Ideas are floating around like soft bread in fondue!

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post

Santa said something about a new Rigid Table saw. Actually the Table saw fund is about $80 away from fully funded. Ideas are floating around like soft bread in fondue!
                Very nice.... I got a chuckle from "soft bread in fondue". I look forward to see what you can whip up once you christen the beast!

Ok, ok. Enough Hijacking Tom's thread.

Comment

I have some left over paper backed Bubinga from "The Fists". Should be more than enough for another set or two of these. Is your if you want it. Just shoot me a PM with your address. If not, no biggie. I hate seeing it sit...And its pretty "fancy". I have no small builds in my future and I am tired of hording.
                  paper backed Bubinga? I think I've only seen Bubinga raw. I like working with paper backed veneers a whole lot more than raw stuff. I'd love to take it off your hands if you're sure you won't be needing it.

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                  Nice build Tom. Will these be part of your design team "quota"?

Awaiting the matching sub ...
                  Mike,
                  yeah, these are my first 'official' SBDT speakers. Funny you mention a subwoofer...

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                  Sorry for the late response Tom, I didn't check the Speaker Project Gallery last night. These look Fantastic!

Really like your mounting solution for the tweets! And I never would have thought of mounting the crossover components to the PR, an excellent idea for such a tiny package. Your write-up is thorough and very easy to follow and these should be a hit. Congrats on completing your first Design Team project!
                  Thanks a lot Sir!
                  I'm liking them so far. They sound cleaner much louder than you would expect. It's really funny watching the woofer beating like a car piston while the passive radiator in back is flapping like a miniature 15" Ultimax... the thing almost looks like it's going to take off. So now you know why I snatched up the set of AMT tweeters you had for sale a few weeks ago. I'm planning on making another set once I rest a bit; maybe go a bit fancier on the cabs.

TomZ

*Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Ok, ok. Enough Hijacking Tom's thread.
                    Yeah, back to our originally scheduled thread...Nice job, Tom!!

Comment

Awesome job! That's alot going on in such a small package, and looks cool from all angles too! Look forward to seeing the sub

Comment

Very nice!! Very creative with the crossover for sure
                        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

paper backed Bubinga? I think I've only seen Bubinga raw. I like working with paper backed veneers a whole lot more than raw stuff. I'd love to take it off your hands if you're sure you won't be needing it.

You have a PM, sir!

Comment

Kudo's Tom. You are getting better and better at this. Very nice design, execution and write-up.
                            Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Ode to a small speaker...

When the wires pull the speaker off the stand,
                              Or when they barely fit the palm of your hand,
                              Or internally they don't go as planned,
                              Then it's a small design.

When the bass makes them dance and oscillate,
                              and also you hyperventilate,
                              and you question the project's thermal state,

When nothing else will fit inside,
                              then bending rules you past abide',
                              But all your logic's justified,

If empty cabs weigh less than parts,
                              and going outside the box is art,
                              Then you'll know right from the start,
                              That it's a small design.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              Did you write that? That's pretty good!

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                              Awesome job! That's alot going on in such a small package, and looks cool from all angles too! Look forward to seeing the sub
                              Originally posted by Derekj View Post
                              Very nice!! Very creative with the crossover for sure
                              Thanks guys. Putting the Xover on the PR helped a HUGE amount. It allowed me to exterminate two winged fowl with one spherical projectile... so to speak.

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                              Kudo's Tom. You are getting better and better at this. Very nice design, execution and write-up.
                              Thanks sir. The write-up ends up taking almost as much time as the project!

TomZ

*Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Yes- in about 10 minutes, I did write that.
                                Thanks!
                                Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                                X