No announcement yet.

The Bantams Micro Speaker System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, did you inquire as to whether PE would be bringing in this tweeter with the faceplate used in the B652-Air's? It's the same tweeter, just a different housing. Maybe it's a marketing thing and they don't want to offer it except in the B652's.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AMT Mini.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1305250
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
      Tom, did you inquire as to whether PE would be bringing in this tweeter with the faceplate used in the B652-Air's? It's the same tweeter, just a different housing. Maybe it's a marketing thing and they don't want to offer it except in the B652's.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1305250[/ATTACH]
      No, I didn't think to do so. You know, I thought it looked similar, but I didn't consider it past that. I was just hoping that the tweeter I used fit a standard Fostner bit size hole, but alas, it did not. You're right, they may want to keep it special to just that speaker.

I don't know about recessing an oval face-plate either; that's not a beginner type of task. It would be nice if the body of it was shaped like a press-fit tweeter like some of the others that PE has. They could sell it as a dual-use product; car and home. Just take that rounded bit off of the outer edge and increase the size just a bit to fit a standard 1-7/8" hole and they'd be there.

TomZ
      Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Hi Tom,

Very very nice project. You know how much I like a nice small speaker. Putting crossover parts on the passive radiator itself is a very cool idea. The whole package looks great!

I do have a question: I don't see any feets on the speaker. How's the cabinet vibration at higher excursion levels?

Comment

Originally posted by bcodemz View Post
          Hi Tom,

Very very nice project. You know how much I like a nice small speaker. Putting crossover parts on the passive radiator itself is a very cool idea. The whole package looks great!

I do have a question: I don't see any feets on the speaker. How's the cabinet vibration at higher excursion levels?
          Thanks for the kind words. I know you know the difficulties of getting a bunch of hardware into a very small package.

Yeah, I didn't put any feet on this speaker yet, but it does need something. The weight of the PR in action at higher volumes will shake this thing all over the place. Could be mini-spikes or possibly something rubber with a little "grip" to it. I had them turn a whole 90 degrees in a 4 minute listening session on the table.

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video

Comment

What a great looking mini speaker! When will the center channel be designed and built?

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
              What a great looking mini speaker! When will the center channel be designed and built?
              Hmmmm. I hadn't thought that far ahead. Maybe if I see that some folks building these I could have a go at it.
              The thing is, the tweeters are only sold in pairs, as they are automotive tweeters at this point; and they're not cheap at that.

I do have a quartet of the ND91-8's for an MTM that I'm planning on getting going in the future. The Bantams are so dynamic and crisp sounding; and with another woofer and larger PR's it should be able to belt it out a bit louder and cleaner.... The MTM should have a F3 of around 55 Hz and be able to carry that at around 100 dB before exceeding X-max. I don't want to say too much about those though. It will be awhile before I get to that project.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way!

TomZ

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
                It's not like these things are huge. Just use one for the center channel as it is (vertically of course). No it won't look like the typical center channel speaker all the Big Box manufacturers sell, but it will probably sound as good or better than some of that stuff you're gonna get at a Wal-Mart or store like that. As for the extra tweeter you end up with, just consider it a back up and the cost of doing business. Maybe sometime down the road Tom will build a complimentary MTM that could be placed horizontally as a center channel speaker. If he does, all you will need to buy is one more woofer and some crossover goodies. Good luck!
                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                The Archers
                Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                The Gandalf's

Comment

Tom, How low do you think the Bantam's play?

Comment

Originally posted by MLS View Post
                    Tom, How low do you think the Bantam's play?
                    Good question.
                    Technically, the projected F3 is somewhere in the mid 90 Hz range, but that's deceiving.

If you look at the projected response graph here:

You can see that with the Passive Radiator, the projected response (Blue Line) takes a very shallow rolloff, even shallower than a sealed box (Red Line) would as frequency drops.

The F6 is around 59 Hz and the F10 around 45 Hz. Xmax is breached at around 45 Hz at full power, but these drivers move a lot more than their Xmax figure... like double, with no issues. The Bantams can play LOUD!

I would say as a system, it reaches into the mid 60 Hz range easily. Also, the measured frequency response graph posted above is only accurate down to 400 Hz or so, and doesn't include the output of the PR at all.

I still use a small subwoofer with them because I'm a bass head, but they do have decent bass output, especially for such a small driver.

TomZ

Comment

Thanks Tom. I am thinking about building a pair and using the Parts Express Sure 2X50 amp with bluetooth to power them as a fun project.

Comment

Originally posted by MLS View Post
                        Thanks Tom. I am thinking about building a pair and using the Parts Express Sure 2X50 amp with bluetooth to power them as a fun project.
                        Should be a pretty decent setup I'd think. I have one of those boards I'm planning on messing around with soon as well.
                        Actually, my wife was playing some music at medium volume today as I was bringing in the groceries from the car and I wasn't sure if my small subwoofer was on or not. I eventually figured it out (not) but there is some bass to be heard.

TomZ

Comment

I love the way these look (and measure for their size!). I'll have to find an excuse to build them one day :-) Great work!

Comment

Tom:
                            ​Do you think there's room to mount the crossover components on the bottom of the enclosure? I'm still waiting on a few parts for my build, and I thought I'd give that a try.

​Also, in the Sound Solutions mag you wrote that the PR opening is 2-15/16" down from the top. That would put it 2-7/16" down from the top of the back piece of MDF, right? I'm routering (sp?) out my holes before I assemble the cabinet, and almost made that mistake.

​I've used these Denovo cabinets before, and they were great. This latest iteration seems a little less so, as you can see in the pic I just took.

​Thanks,
                            Rick

Comment

Originally posted by crossrh View Post
                              Tom:
                              ​Do you think there's room to mount the crossover components on the bottom of the enclosure? I'm still waiting on a few parts for my build, and I thought I'd give that a try.

​Also, in the Sound Solutions mag you wrote that the PR opening is 2-15/16" down from the top. That would put it 2-7/16" down from the top of the back piece of MDF, right? I'm routering (sp?) out my holes before I assemble the cabinet, and almost made that mistake.

​I've used these Denovo cabinets before, and they were great. This latest iteration seems a little less so, as you can see in the pic I just took.

​Thanks,
                              Rick
                              Rick,
                              you might be able to get all the pieces in there on the bottom, I never tried it... using the PR as a crossover mount just seemed too easy.

Your measurements seem to be about right as I'm measuring mine, but I can't be 100% sure. If memory serves, I cut my PR opening with a jig saw after the box was assembled. It will be tricky to do on the board by itself and there will be precious little meat left around the hole.

I'm kind of excited, as far as I know nobody has ever tried to reproduce any of my designs. I may have forgotten to mention it but they need some rubber feet to keep them from walking all over the place once you finish them. Here is what I used:

Good luck!
                              TomZ

Comment

Thanks, Tom.

​I've used those feet in the past, but they seem to "walk" on me (no pun intended, but I wished I had.) That leaves a glue smear on the bottom.

​When I get the rest of the parts in, I'll let you know how the xover fits in the bottom of the cabinet.

​I was going to use a MiniDSP for the crossover like I did for my last project, but that makes the speakers much less mobile, as I would have to lug around the MiniDSP and the two amps along with the two speakers. The passive xover won't be as flexible as a MiniDSP, but it will be more practicable.

Comment

Working...
                                X