Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crossrh View Post
    Thanks, Tom.

​I've used those feet in the past, but they seem to "walk" on me (no pun intended, but I wished I had.) That leaves a glue smear on the bottom.

​When I get the rest of the parts in, I'll let you know how the xover fits in the bottom of the cabinet.

​I was going to use a MiniDSP for the crossover like I did for my last project, but that makes the speakers much less mobile, as I would have to lug around the MiniDSP and the two amps along with the two speakers. The passive xover won't be as flexible as a MiniDSP, but it will be more practicable.
    Do you mean that the rubber feet didn't stay stuck to the same spot on the cabinet? I guess I lucked out and got good ones then.

By the way, you probably shouldn't try to route out the PR hole until after assembly -- I forgot -- I actually gouged into the sides of the cabinet walls when I cut out the holes for my set:

There is precious little material there on the sides of the cabinet.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Too late!

​I used a router with a Jasper Jig for all the holes. I spread out the other pieces of the cabinet around the pieces that I was routering to provide support for the Jasper Jig. (see pic)

I cut the tweeter holes 1 3/4" instead of 2" and used a drum sander bit in my drill press to widen the holes. Now the tweeters press-fit into their holes without needing gasket tape. I'll add a little construction adhesive to the sides of the hole when I'm ready to install them.

I dropped the PR cutout to 3 5/8" and lightly rounded over the outside edge. They fit nicely.

​Some of the caps are backordered. Hope I don't have to wait too long.

​Thanks for the idea for this little speaker, Tom. I don't have the know-how to configure one myself. For one of my other builds I used John Krutke's designs on Zaphaudio.com, the SR-71, and it came out really well.
      Last edited by crossrh; 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Too late!

​I used a router with a Jasper Jig for all the holes. I spread out the other pieces of the cabinet around the pieces that I was routering to provide support for the Jasper Jig. (see pic)

I cut the tweeter holes 1 3/4" instead of 2" and used a drum sander bit in my drill press to widen the holes. Now the tweeters press-fit into their holes without needing gasket tape. I'll add a little construction adhesive to the sides of the hole when I'm ready to install them.

I dropped the PR cutout to 3 5/8" and lightly rounded over the outside edge. They fit nicely.

​Thanks for the idea for this little speaker, Tom. I don't have the know-how to configure one myself. For one of my other builds I used John Krutke's designs on Zaphaudio.com, the SR-71, and it came out really well.
        One of the caps is not due available until June IIRC. I ordered the Precision Audio Caps 2.2uF Part # 027-216 $2.79 5.1uF Part # 027-232 $4.48. They are more expensive but I will have them in a few days and it is worth the extra few $'s to me. I am thinking of painting them satin white rather than black. I think the small black drivers agains the small white cabinet will look pretty cool.

Scott

Comment

Too late!

I like how you braced the parts so you could router them out, good idea. I went back and forth with what size hole to cut for the tweeter. I wish they had made it a standard size for a press-fit, wouldn't have made any difference with it's functionality as an auto tweeter really, but I guess they were just thinking 'auto' when they designed it. For the Bantam MTM's I used 4 wraps of electrical tape and it fit perfectly in the larger hole.

Your idea to sand the opening larger is a good one "if" you're capable of being careful enough. I actually was afraid that I'd sand too far so I didn't want to risk it.
          Originally posted by MLS View Post

One of the caps is not due available until June IIRC. I ordered the Precision Audio Caps 2.2uF Part # 027-216 $2.79 5.1uF Part # 027-232 $4.48. They are more expensive but I will have them in a few days and it is worth the extra few $'s to me. I am thinking of painting them satin white rather than black. I think the small black drivers agains the small white cabinet will look pretty cool.

Scott
          Different flavors, nice! Looking forward to seeing them.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151217_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	887.3 KB
ID:	1324839
            Dang. Thanks for the heads-up, Scott. I didn't notice the dates when I placed my order. I'll call tomorrow and plead ignorance. Hopefully they won't charge me shipping for four caps.

​Satin white does sound nice. The contrast against the speakers will look good.

​I have some leftover cherry veneer I'm going to use. Painting would be so much easier. It took me months to get the Waterlox gloss finish the way I wanted it, but it was worth it.
            Last edited by crossrh; 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM. Reason: Added a pic of the Cherry veneer with Waterlox High Gloss.

Comment

Working...
            X