No announcement yet.

The Bantams Micro Speaker System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice work! I have been wanting to build some with PR's for a long time. I might have to build a set, Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Tom, thanks for this design!!! I made up a set of these for one of my girlsfriends daughters. I couldn't stand her listening to music with her cell phone any longer. These are a great little desktop speaker. She loves them!!! The other daughter got a pair of scott's heliums. They are both being enjoyed on a daily basis. For anyone who is worried about output, don't. I had these hooked up to my Peachtree 125 for a couple of weeks before Christmas and they can put out some sound for sure. I was amazed how great they sound. Here are a couple pictures, I was able to sneak the xover into the bottom of the without having to use the frame of the PR but it was a tight squeeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclemo View Post
        Tom, thanks for this design!!! I made up a set of these for one of my girlsfriends daughters. I couldn't stand her listening to music with her cell phone any longer. These are a great little desktop speaker. She loves them!!! The other daughter got a pair of scott's heliums. They are both being enjoyed on a daily basis. For anyone who is worried about output, don't. I had these hooked up to my Peachtree 125 for a couple of weeks before Christmas and they can put out some sound for sure. I was amazed how great they sound. Here are a couple pictures, I was able to sneak the xover into the bottom of the without having to use the frame of the PR but it was a tight squeeze.
        Very nice. How do they compare to the heliums, since you've built both?

Comment

Those are very pretty. How did you finish the sides?

Comment

They are very similar to the heliums, at least to my ear. I never really did the a/b thing but they both sound great. If memory serves me I think I preferred these at more moderate listening levels. The tweeter on the heliums was a little more relaxed to my ears at the louder end of the spectrum. So for me if I was going to build some for desktop listening I would go with these. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either though.
            As for the finish on the sides, these are just mdf with some rattle can white with a few coat of deft spray lacquer from a can.

Comment

They came out great. A lot more exciting than my 'basic box' pair. Those things are really snazzy!
              How hard did you find installing the tweeter? The first pair I made I used foam and I had to smoosh them in my twisting... real tough. The second time I worked on the Bantam MTM's I used electrical tape I think, much easier. Just wondering how hard it seemed for you.
              I'm real glad that you like them. I think in Scott's Helium's they are crossed a little lower, but still pretty high, like around 6k or so... so the ND91 is still doing the majority of the heavy lifting as in my version.

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I cut the whole for the tweeter pretty tight and the used some black caulking on the back to make sure they were sealed up good. Could i get them back out? Not easily thats for sure. It definitely tiik some finessing. Thanks again, the girls love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                  Tom, did you inquire as to whether PE would be bringing in this tweeter with the faceplate used in the B652-Air's? It's the same tweeter, just a different housing. Maybe it's a marketing thing and they don't want to offer it except in the B652's.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1305250[/ATTACH]
                  I have used these tweeters in a 2.1 boombox project which was based on a 4.2BT TPA3116d2 plate amp. The sattelite duties were done with a pair of these AMTs and the Dayton RS100-8 pair. Sub duties were done by the Tang Band W6-1139SMF. Superb sound all around and the off axis response from the AMTs was excellent.

You can buy these AMTs on the other 'express' website store. The one with the famous boxer's surname...

Comment

Tom... Superb write up.

I have been a ND90-8 user for some time now and have paired them with the ND20FA-6 and AMTs in Sprite type boombox projects. Have also done a 2.1 boombox set up with the ND90-8 and ND20FA-6 doing satellite duties with the ND105-8 acting as the sub.

I recently completed a pair of separates using the ND90-8 with the ND25TA-4. They are in 4.5L boxes. I was worried about the peak at 17KHz with the tweeter. But, it was not an issue after adequate padding down with an L-pad.

I just happend to read about your project. Been wanting to use the ND91-4 in a small set up. Was considering the Heliums. The Bantams look like they can go a bit lower though. One difference will be that I plan to use the AMTs (similar to the ones on the B652 Air).

Comment

Working...
                    X