X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bugsi View Post

nice!
    I'm really impressed!

I used to think that listening to music at a desk has major disadvantages - and it does*. Yet, there are also some cool aspects to it: You already sit in the perfect stereo triangle (provided your desk has the approriate size). Your listening distance is typically less than 1 m / 3,3 ft. And a computer is normally right at your fingertips.

With the enhanced speaker case it feels like the disadvantages of listening to music at a desk have been significantly reduced: There are hardly any resonances generated by the case itself or by the desk (due to the decoupling).

(* Of course, I have to deal with early reflections by the desk. But it seems like the tilted stand/spikes help to reduce these effects. And if possible (= not working), I also put a mat of convoluted foam on my desk, which also helps to reduce early reflections. And I'm thinking about further enhancing it: Maybe use Basotec instead of foam; maybe glueing a heavy rubber mat (for washing machines etc.) under the desk with mounting glue. Also, I'm thinking about building and installing acoustic panels for the ceiling ...)

At the same time, due to the short listening distance, the Bantams provide enough power to listen loud if need be. At less than 1 m / 3,3 ft. listening distance it simply becomes too loud for me at maximum volume to be able to enjoy music. And the Bantams do an excellent job at both low and high volumes.

Having a computer nearby enables me to tweak the sound with REW/Equalizer APO (namely to deal with room modes below 100 Hz) and to easily stream music from online sources (in my case: Tidal).

Even though I have decent 3-way DIY wall speakers in combination with a subwoofer (incl. DSPeaker) in my living room, I really, really enjoy listening to the Bantams in their enhanced speaker case at the desk.

... and this is especially true for bass filled songs*!?

* Examples (from my sound universe):
    Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• I can't see audio.novize's photos...
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I can't see audio.novize's photos...
        That's strange - I see them - ?

But I made a "mistake" with the pictures anyway as I chose "small", because I thought this is just the preview size (that's how it works in the german hifi forum: you can always click on the embedded pictures and see them in full size).

Anyways - for testing purposes I try it again, this time by directly uploading them and not by linking to the image URL, maybe this helps ...

EDIT: I uploaded all the pictures (instead of just linking the image URL), hence I'm taking out the pictures in this post (now they can also be clicked for a full size view).

Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Yes- I see those!
          Thanks,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Yes- I see those!
            I uploaded all the pictures and hope you (and everybody else) can see them now ...

Comment

• Great build Novize? Can you explain the filling of the quartz sand? Did you literally just dump sand over the crossover? I've never seen anything like that before. What's the logic behind it?

Comment

• They sure came out nice AudioNovice. I bet the extra weight down low helps stabilize things. Overall look is snazzy!

TomZ
                Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
                  Great build Novize? Can you explain the filling of the quartz sand? Did you literally just dump sand over the crossover? I've never seen anything like that before. What's the logic behind it?
                  Thank you! Haha, yes, dumping the sand on the crossover felt weird to me too. But I trusted the veterans in the german hifi forum who recommended it (and didi it themselves). The purpose is to a) add weight and b) help reduce case resonances. Trilos, a user in the german forum explained that the millions of sand grains help to transform resonances (kinetic energy) into warmth. It's basically the same reason why you would fill up a speaker stand with quartz sand.

But "dumping" is not really the procedure: Instead you pour it in gently, wait for a little bit for the sand to settle down, then you add more, wait etc. It took me about 4 - 6 pourings before the crossover compartment was fully filled (notably under the crossover).

It is also important to know that the sand has to be absolutely dry - in german it's called "fire-dried". The grain size is 0,1 - 0,3 mm / 0,004 - 0,011 inch.

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  They sure came out nice AudioNovice. I bet the extra weight down low helps stabilize things. Overall look is snazzy!

TomZ
                  Thank you!

Comment

• Thought I'd be necromancing this post but it seems like I'm not the only one with itchy fingers.
                    I discovered the Bantams by accident and fell in love right away and just had to get a pair to my computer. Now when we have to work from home as much as possible some decent sound is of the utmost importance
                    Attaching some pictures of my build that was completed this morning, I know i messed up some when cutting the vinyl but considering where they will be I decided to let it slip.

Really like the sound from them so far, thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

Working...
                    X