Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rasmussen
    replied
    Thought I'd be necromancing this post but it seems like I'm not the only one with itchy fingers.
    I discovered the Bantams by accident and fell in love right away and just had to get a pair to my computer. Now when we have to work from home as much as possible some decent sound is of the utmost importance
    Attaching some pictures of my build that was completed this morning, I know i messed up some when cutting the vinyl but considering where they will be I decided to let it slip.

Really like the sound from them so far, thanks for the inspiration!

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
    Great build Novize? Can you explain the filling of the quartz sand? Did you literally just dump sand over the crossover? I've never seen anything like that before. What's the logic behind it?
    Thank you! Haha, yes, dumping the sand on the crossover felt weird to me too. But I trusted the veterans in the german hifi forum who recommended it (and didi it themselves). The purpose is to a) add weight and b) help reduce case resonances. Trilos, a user in the german forum explained that the millions of sand grains help to transform resonances (kinetic energy) into warmth. It's basically the same reason why you would fill up a speaker stand with quartz sand.

But "dumping" is not really the procedure: Instead you pour it in gently, wait for a little bit for the sand to settle down, then you add more, wait etc. It took me about 4 - 6 pourings before the crossover compartment was fully filled (notably under the crossover).

It is also important to know that the sand has to be absolutely dry - in german it's called "fire-dried". The grain size is 0,1 - 0,3 mm / 0,004 - 0,011 inch.

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    They sure came out nice AudioNovice. I bet the extra weight down low helps stabilize things. Overall look is snazzy!

TomZ
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    They sure came out nice AudioNovice. I bet the extra weight down low helps stabilize things. Overall look is snazzy!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• mmu7
    replied
    Great build Novize? Can you explain the filling of the quartz sand? Did you literally just dump sand over the crossover? I've never seen anything like that before. What's the logic behind it?

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Yes- I see those!
    I uploaded all the pictures and hope you (and everybody else) can see them now ...

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Yes- I see those!
    Thanks,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I can't see audio.novize's photos...
    That's strange - I see them - ?

But I made a "mistake" with the pictures anyway as I chose "small", because I thought this is just the preview size (that's how it works in the german hifi forum: you can always click on the embedded pictures and see them in full size).

Anyways - for testing purposes I try it again, this time by directly uploading them and not by linking to the image URL, maybe this helps ...

EDIT: I uploaded all the pictures (instead of just linking the image URL), hence I'm taking out the pictures in this post (now they can also be clicked for a full size view).

Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I can't see audio.novize's photos...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    Originally posted by Bugsi View Post

nice!
    I'm really impressed!

I used to think that listening to music at a desk has major disadvantages - and it does*. Yet, there are also some cool aspects to it: You already sit in the perfect stereo triangle (provided your desk has the approriate size). Your listening distance is typically less than 1 m / 3,3 ft. And a computer is normally right at your fingertips.

With the enhanced speaker case it feels like the disadvantages of listening to music at a desk have been significantly reduced: There are hardly any resonances generated by the case itself or by the desk (due to the decoupling).

(* Of course, I have to deal with early reflections by the desk. But it seems like the tilted stand/spikes help to reduce these effects. And if possible (= not working), I also put a mat of convoluted foam on my desk, which also helps to reduce early reflections. And I'm thinking about further enhancing it: Maybe use Basotec instead of foam; maybe glueing a heavy rubber mat (for washing machines etc.) under the desk with mounting glue. Also, I'm thinking about building and installing acoustic panels for the ceiling ...)

At the same time, due to the short listening distance, the Bantams provide enough power to listen loud if need be. At less than 1 m / 3,3 ft. listening distance it simply becomes too loud for me at maximum volume to be able to enjoy music. And the Bantams do an excellent job at both low and high volumes.

Having a computer nearby enables me to tweak the sound with REW/Equalizer APO (namely to deal with room modes below 100 Hz) and to easily stream music from online sources (in my case: Tidal).

Even though I have decent 3-way DIY wall speakers in combination with a subwoofer (incl. DSPeaker) in my living room, I really, really enjoy listening to the Bantams in their enhanced speaker case at the desk.

... and this is especially true for bass filled songs*!?

* Examples (from my sound universe):
    Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bugsi
    replied
    Originally posted by audio.novize View Post
    p.p.s.
    Not in their enhanced speaker case ...
    nice!

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    The goldish-yellowish color of the AMT inspired me to add another little "color sparkle": I added gold plated inside angle bolts and yellow gel mats (which are acutally used for DIY motorbike seats). Sorry for the bad image quality, but at some point it was dark and priorities pretty quickly changed to: Now, I want to listen! ... ​​ ):

Click image for larger version

Name:	fertig_00.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1461438
    (In this picture still with "Iso-Pads" and Basotec for the tilted stand)​​

Name:	fertig_00a.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1461439

Name:	fertig_03.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1461440​​

(In the final setup the Bantams only rest on 10 mm / 0,4 inch gel mat stripes in the front and back of the stands, which helped to reduce the vibrations of the desk to a minimum).

If anyone is interested to see the ND91-4 in action and slow motion: Here you go ...

P.S.
    A lot more details can be found in the respective thread of the german hifi forum [but only in german ...]

P.P.S.
    Originally posted by Bugsi View Post
    Nick Campbell's bass at the beginning of this track made the speakers vibrate and flutter ...
    Not in their enhanced speaker case ...
    Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 06:14 PM. Reason: Updated pictures

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    As the speakers are integrated into an office environment (on black desks), the speakers were customized accordingly: color-wise, but also regarding the surface. I used black stain and resin, which creates a matte, deep black appearance that pretty much looks like a switched-off LED monitor with interesting gradiations due to the chamfers and rounded edges:

Name:	Pre-Fertig_01.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1461433​​

Testing and Installing the crossover and finally filling up the "quartz sand" compartment, which increases the weight of the speaker by nearly one third (= approx. 720 g / 1.6 lbs; altogether per speaker approx. 2,8 kg / 6,2 lbs):

Name:	fw_04.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	1461434​​

Name:	fw_11.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1461435​​

Name:	rückwand_01.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1461436​​

Name:	sand_01.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1461437
    Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 06:02 PM. Reason: Updated pictures

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    Cutting the chamfers was a challenge, I have to admit. It was my first time and I guess I was a little bit too cautious and unexperienced with the dimensions. Thus, I only sawed off a little piece of the corner and had to sand quite a bit by hand. The result though pretty much turned out as hoped for (considering I did it the first time):

Name:	Fase_03.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1461428​​

Name:	Fase_04.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1461429​​

Name:	Gehäuse_fertig_03.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	1461430​​

Name:	Gehäuse_fertig_02.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	1461431

Name:	Gehäuse_fertig_06.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	1461432​​
    Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 05:55 PM. Reason: Updated pictures

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    Speaker case glued, sanded and with rounded edges (incl. damping and inner bracing):

Name:	gehäuse_eckig_02.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	1461424​​

Name:	gehäuse_eckig_04_detail.jpg
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1461425​​

Name:	gehäuse_abgerundet_01.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1461426​​

Name:	gehäuse_abgerundet_03.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1461427
    Last edited by Audio.Novize; 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM. Reason: Updated pictures

Leave a comment:

• Audio.Novize
    replied
    I generously gave both the ND91-4 and the passive radiator room to "breathe". For that purpose I not only worked with a router but also a Dremel-like tool (not the prettiest work, but inside it's more about function than form ... ​​ )

Name:	Aussparung_01.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1461420​​

Name:	Hinterfräsung_01.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	1461421​​

Name:	Hinterfräsung_02.jpg