Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Klipsch LaScala Build with 1" Baltic Birch plywood.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klipsch LaScala Build with 1" Baltic Birch plywood.

Recently started this build. First time using 1" BB ply - warning it is heavy and hard to cut but very stiff and flat. Bought it in 5' x 5' sheets. GET A FRIEND TO HELP YOU LOAD/UNLOAD IT!

I had to vary the LS plans a bit to allow for the increased thickness of the ply. Hardest part is cutting out the "doghouse" i.e. the pointed part facing the listener. I'm veneering all panels that show with cherry veneer which takes a lot longer.

Here are a few pics

Was wondering where you've been! Looking forward to watching you do a project from ground up. This will be interesting, so - lots more pics, please. And more info. Are you doing this for yourself? Which components are you using inside? Factory plans?

Thought for sure you would be out of cherry veneer by now, though!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

What a neat project. I'm sure to learn a ton following this one.

Comment

Thanks JD and Phil,

Cutting five 5' x 5' 1" 17 ply baltic birch aint easy!! Better have a good friend to help you rip it!

I'm veneering the plywood as I get each piece cut (that will be seen) which takes a long time and much thought and planning. Latest pic is attached showing the angled ramps that are screwed/glued to the back of the motorboard showing the 3" x 13" slot where the 15" woofer fires into the beginning of the horn. This is a shot from what will be the back which will have a triangular "splitter/divider" centered on the slot to direct the vibrating air right and left toward the back corners and around to the horn mouth.

The 1" BB is amazing stuff. No flex. Klipsch switched to using 1" mdf on the LaScala II (but only on the back, sides, tops, and bottoms of the bass bin) and not on the "doghouse" shown here. I'm building these for a customer who wanted 1" BB all around so that's what he gets. He also may buy the Belle bass bins if he can find a Belle mid horn.

Still have enough cherry to finish this project and maybe a few more.

I had to build a rolling stand to maneuver these and the Belles because of the weight.

My customer is buying all new stuff- Crites 15" cast woofers, John Allen compression drivers, used k400 mid horn and K-77 tweeter, and Crites crossovers.

It is fun and agony at the same time!!!! I posted on the Klipsch forum on this build as well.

Comment

GD,

Forgot to respond to your question re factory plans. I started with factory plans and had to modify them to account for the additional 1/4" thickness of the 1" versus the standard 3/4" ply. I also widened the back of the motorboard (doghouse floor) to allow the Crites woofer to fit n the bottom woofer hatch. Crites woofer is a little wider than the K-33 Klipsch (Eminence) woofer.

Comment

Awesome. The only problem w/ projects like these is, I can't hear them.

Keep up w/ the good work and pics, thanks!

Comment

Looking great, Ken. Can I get an invitation to hear them once they are completed? Would love to meet.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

GD, sure you can hear them!! After I get them finished and to the new owner you can come by and listen. He is a great guy and has Klipsch speakers in every room in his house including 1953 redone Klipschorns . Got a little back spasm this am (wonder from what???) so may have to take it easy a day or two. Would be glad to meet you also.

Comment

Thanks so much, Ken! I'll look forward to meeting the two of you. Can't wait!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Been slowed down a little bit with back spasm (wonder what heavy lifting may have caused it!!!!). Got the doghouse, back, bottom and upper chamber top installed and working on mid/tweeter front board. Got the cutouts done but need to veneer the front after I install the neo magnets before veneer. Probably will slow down some due to Christmas now.

Comment

How can I stop myself from gushing over how nice this is looking? Those are simply going to POP once the veneer is finished! Got to get off my rear end and get back on my Altec project. You have my building "want to" revved up now. Great work, Ken!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Thanks GD. You'll get back in the swing soon I'm sure. These babies are taking a while but I hope the get all the pieces assembled during this long weekend. I have to veneer the inside of the bass bin and the outside so its taking longer. I got the veneered glued on the inside of the side pieces last night and will probably put some finish on that before attaching since it's easier that way. Learning a lot on this build. Second one should be faster.

I"ve attached pic showing dry fitting of the non veneered sides to show how it will look. I'll used 3/8" solid cherry trim on the front edges and build a 4.5" riser with solid cherry kickboard all around. Customer wants the speaker higher because of furniture placement in his listening room.

Comment

Got all the pieces attached and got one side veneered and clamped. A friend is coming over tonight to help me flip it so I can veneer other side. Here are a couple of pics showing the woofer hatch for installing woofer and the current status of the cabinet. Still need front edge solid trim after the veneer is on sides and then I can overlap the top veneer over the sides and back.

Comment

Looking great so far. What kind of adhesive are you using for the veneer? Do a few more of these and you'll need some rigging to flip/move them yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Phil. I'm using Heatlock veneer glue I bought from Joe Woodworker website. It works well using my Wal-Mart iron. You're right about needing some lifting equipment if I keep making these the 3/4" version is a lot lighter than the 1" BB version. I need to put casters on them!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X