The Standards - Dayton RS28A and Peerless HDS Exclusive 830883

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Standards - Dayton RS28A and Peerless HDS Exclusive 830883

I just posted my first Design Team project: http://projectgallery.parts-express....the-standards/ I'll have more info soon, including final measurements on and off axis. Was having problems with my microphone on the final measurements that I have to get sorted out 😕
    Last edited by Navy Guy; 12-17-2016, 06:56 PM.
    -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Reserved for more info
    -Kerry

Comment

Those look fantastic. I took a peek at your final link and the veneer/finish looks amazing. I love the aluminum legs too. You say you tried some new things on this set, it looks like everything came out pretty much perfect. I see flaws in my stuff too, but it looks really nice. Nice squiggly lines, also.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Kerry,
        Looks great! Looking forward to the squiggles!

Comment

They turned out super nice Kerry! The black dye on the curly Maple compliments the aluminum on the woofer and feet well. I see you tuned the enclosure to 38hz, what did you end up with for an F3?
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Nice job Kerry! I really like the veneer!
            See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Great project Kerry, really like the veneer and those outriggers are way cool! Thoughts on these vs. the B&W's in the background? Always liked the look of those and they seemed to sound pretty good at the local BB Magnolia room.
              Also +1 on the RS28A, I guess I prefer the metal tweeters too.
              Paul

The "SB's" build page
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

I'm sure those sound great, but the appearance is spectacular! Great job Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo
                  Those look fantastic. I took a peek at your final link and the veneer/finish looks amazing. I love the aluminum legs too. You say you tried some new things on this set, it looks like everything came out pretty much perfect. I see flaws in my stuff too, but it looks really nice. Nice squiggly lines, also. TomZ
                  It's easy to hide the flaws when you're the one taking the pictures 😜
                  -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K.
                    They turned out super nice Kerry! The black dye on the curly Maple compliments the aluminum on the woofer and feet well. I see you tuned the enclosure to 38hz, what did you end up with for an F3?
                    Thanks. I thought about spraying the tweeter frame to match the woofer. The woofer is actually painted silver. I didn't think I'd be able to get a perfect match on the color though. The tuning puts the f3 in the high 30s in an EBS alignment. I didn't realize until you asked that I forgot to upload the box modeled response.
                    -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by bullittstang
                      Great project Kerry, really like the veneer and those outriggers are way cool! Thoughts on these vs. the B&W's in the background? Always liked the look of those and they seemed to sound pretty good at the local BB Magnolia room. Also +1 on the RS28A, I guess I prefer the metal tweeters too.
                      The B&W CM7 towers in the background don't sound bad, but most of my DIY speakers sound better. It really too bad. I've taken them apart and measured everything individually. The engineering quality is actually really good. Braced Baltic birch cabinets, low distortion tweeter and mid, quality crossover components, etc. unfortunately they still subscribe to what I would consider some out dated crossover principles. 1st order on the tweeter and trying to avoid crossing below 4000hz leads to a bad power response and dips off axis in the presence region.
                      -Kerry

Comment

I always loved the look of those HDS Exclusive drivers - pretty classly. About the veneer - in some pics it looks great, in others a bit "meh" - you might try using 2 or more flood lights and get some cross lighting going. I'm certainly no expert on speaker pics - just something you might play with . Nice clean design/build. Gotta give props for the creative use of a black marker also.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Nice project! Wonder how they would compare to the Baronettes (Dynavox LW6004PMR) in the latest parts express monthly catalog

Comment

I've always regretted selling a pair of HDS years ago. Great looking system Kerry.
                            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                            Sonata Soundbar Project
                            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Nice job Kerry. I love the look. The color of the finish really complements the HDS woofer. I've been wanting to use that woofer for a while now - the RS28A seems a nice match. Simple XO too, well done.

Dan
                              The Hurricanes
                              The Baronettes
                              Conneccentric
                              UX3

Comment

Working...
                              X