No announcement yet.

Sunflower center build begins - and some questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also thinking of building this center channel out of 3/4" MDF. Is that what you ended up using if so could I get the External dimensions? According to my math from Pauls drawing it required a 877 cubic inch interior based on the 1/2" drawing. Any idea if that is correct?

Comment

Originally posted by cody911911 View Post
      I am also thinking of building this center channel out of 3/4" MDF. Is that what you ended up using if so could I get the External dimensions? According to my math from Pauls drawing it required a 877 cubic inch interior based on the 1/2" drawing. Any idea if that is correct?
      Hey Cody,

I used half-inch MDF and it was sufficient, given the size and power of these drivers, it was mentioned that 3/4 inch would be a bit overkill. If you are still worried you can do 1/2 inch and do 1 or 2 braces in the middle.

Now I'm no speaker expert but I really love the sound of this center channel speaker. Loud and clear, with tons of detail. Dialogue comes through crystal clear for movies. Right now I believe it is set to -4 vs the two Amiga towers, since I believe it is pretty powerful in comparison (as it is made to complement the sunflower towers, which are quite a bit louder/ more powerful - those are definitely on my lost to build next)

Comment

yeah I had to get a sheet of 3/4 MDF to replace a sidewall of the amiga's that swelled during shipping, so I was looking to utilize the remainder for this. I'm about 1/2 way through building an Amiga set. I did figure it would be rather overkill, I'm not worried about the structural integrity even with the 1/2'

Comment

Originally posted by cody911911 View Post
          yeah I had to get a sheet of 3/4 MDF to replace a sidewall of the amiga's that swelled during shipping, so I was looking to utilize the remainder for this. I'm about 1/2 way through building an Amiga set. I did figure it would be rather overkill, I'm not worried about the structural integrity even with the 1/2'
          In that case, 3/4 MDF will do just fine; but the overall footprint of the speaker will be slightly larger (1/4 inch or so all around) since you want to try to keep the internal diameter more or less the same (Paul Carmody had stated that as long as you remain within 20% of original design sizing, the sound/performance should remain unaffected)

Do you have any space restrictions for this speaker where it will be placed?

Comment

have about 48 " wide by 10 inches tall by 15" deep available currently but could move my TV up or may upgrade its size eating up some of that space. I have a TV stand with a floating TV mount that can be set at 4 different heights and takes up to a 55" TV, currently a 42"

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
              some updates!

Last night went to Home Depot and bought the 1/2'' MDF stock for the enclosure. Since you get 3 free cuts, I decided to get my front baffle cut. Guy did a nice job of getting dimensions exact. I then went home and put my old Engineering Drawing kit to use :P amazing what tools will come in handy a few years after graduation :D Dayton drivers and the tweeter are a little tight, no? I get that you want to be as close as possible, just hope the flush mount cut-out portion will cut well. Have barely worked with router so far. The router I got has variable speed - should I be setting it faster or slower for clean finishing on MDF?

Looks like this will be a NICE fit under my TV, between my two Amigas :D

on the layla mattress coupons

On a more exciting note, I decided I'd buy a router kit. My dad had a fixed router and I figured it was not sufficient for making nice holes with flush mounting speakers. I found great reviews on this one and on top of it, Lowes has it on sale, plus an additional 5% off sale! So I ordered it online from them;

https://www.lowes.ca/products/view.aspx?sku=9623272

Also ordered the Jasper 400 circle jig, and a carbide onsrud straight upcut bit from Lee Valley last week. I should be all set to go now!

My friend, who owns a gear cutting shop with his bro/dad, offered for us to go one weekend day and do the work there, as it is winter here and I have a condo. Hopefully I will get time in the next two weekends to get it done!
              Thank you, it helps
              Last edited by amy01; 10-24-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X