Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on some new computer speakers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on some new computer speakers...

I've decided I need some new computer speakers, so I thought I would take a stab at designing something new. These are what I came up with so far, using the Dayton ND91-4 and PTMini-6 drivers. This is all simulation at this point as I'm waiting for the tweeters to come back in stock. Just thought I'd share my progress so far.
    My modest builds:
    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

I bought some of the mini planars myself recently and was wondering what to use it with. That looks like a nice combination.
    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Hey man, that looks pretty interesting. I'm assuming that internal tube is a port that opens downward? If you don't mind, can you share some thoughts on that choice? I'm always willing to learn a new trick from someone who's done this a time or two! I always assumed ports had to open either front, back, or side... somehow "down" never occurred to me, since I expected the speakers are sitting on a stand or whatnot. Thanks in advance!

- Keith
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks

Comment

These are my (now over 12 yrs old) BR-1 clones, built before the BR-1 kit (so, my own XO design: HP is 2nd order w/L-pad, LP is 1st order w/Zobel).
        That's a long 2-1/2" PVC port. I stood it upright (out the top) to fit it into the box. Put some "hardware cloth" (screen w/coarser weave than window screen) around the bottom so I could dump out HotWheels, blocks & such that "accidentally" fell in there. These still provide daily "treadmill music" hanging from the joists in the basement.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	1313109

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          These are my (now over 12 yrs old) BR-1 clones, built before the BR-1 kit (so, my own XO design: HP is 2nd order w/L-pad, LP is 1st order w/Zobel).
          That's a long 2-1/2" PVC port. I stood it upright (out the top) to fit it into the box. Put some "hardware cloth" (screen w/coarser weave than window screen) around the bottom so I could dump out HotWheels, blocks & such that "accidentally" fell in there. These still provide daily "treadmill music" hanging from the joists in the basement. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1313109[/ATTACH]
          Those darn hot wheels cars like ports for some reason. I've had to take a woofer out of a sub for this very reason years ago. This is a great idea and eliminates having to pull a driver to fish out the foreign object!
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Down firing is actually pretty common, I'll need to add some feet to get them up off my desk, for something this small 3/4" tall feet should be about right.
            My modest builds:
            Armadillo Center Channel
            Au-Rock-O Sub
            Tarkus
            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

I've long had a habit of securing some form of acoustically transparent 'stop' on one of the ends of ports. Zip-tied FG screen, screen installed in the port itself, etc...

It just makes good sense to keep toys, critters, bugs, and anything else; out of the speaker cabs.

I look forward to your completion, Gaelen!

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Got the cabs together, still waiting on the tweeters before I can do anything with the baffles.
                My modest builds:
                Armadillo Center Channel
                Au-Rock-O Sub
                Tarkus
                Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

My modest builds:
                  Armadillo Center Channel
                  Au-Rock-O Sub
                  Tarkus
                  Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Love the way those look, great job!

Comment

Looks good, like the carbon fiber look. Very well thought out place & way to do the XO.
                      Paul

The "SB's" build page
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Extremely belated update: been enjoying these as is, for near field listening they're great! I ended up adding a hardwood riser to tilt them back a bit. For feet I used the dome shaped stick on ones that PE sells. Ignore the dust and cat hair, my desk is a bit of a mess ATM...
                        My modest builds:
                        Armadillo Center Channel
                        Au-Rock-O Sub
                        Tarkus
                        Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Looks good. I really like the red carbon fiber. I used black carbon fiber on my Sprites. Do you have any post graphs? I'd love to see what the end result was.
                          All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

Comment

I don't have any measurements, these were pretty much done with sims from the mfr response files, a bit of trial and error, and another 6 months of "extensive listening tests" lol. To my ears, they seem like they should be pretty close to what the sim shows, I've been listening to them everyday and they don't really do anything wrong. Everything I throw at em sounds right. That said, I need to take them over to Mark's and see what his take is on them, make sure I'm not deaf or crazy.
                            My modest builds:
                            Armadillo Center Channel
                            Au-Rock-O Sub
                            Tarkus
                            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Working...
                            X